MATCHUP: MIAMI vs. VIRGINIA TECH

OFFENSE: If the offense can protect their quarterback and the football, the ‘Canes will win. Virginia Tech will persistently run the football, which would explain their 253 yards on the ground against Clemson last week.
Advantage: VT

QUARTERBACK: Kyle Wright won’t be responsible for losing a football game. Against GT he was sacked six times, one less than last year’s meeting. Virginia Tech’s Sean Glennon won’t be responsible for winning a game. Against Clemson, he only threw 15 passes, 9 of which were completed for a total of 108 yards.
Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACK: Brandon Ore is the ACC’s leading rusher. Against Clemson, his 203 yards on 37 carries should worry Miami. He was also the most successful rusher against the ‘Canes in last year’s meeting. Javarris James continues to be Miami’s rushing leader with 113 yards on 19 carries last week.
Advantage: EVEN

O-LINE: Miami’s line must improve their communication with each other to read pressure. VT’s line only allowed two sacks against Clemson, and obviously created ample running room. Miami’s D-Line will look to abuse the VT front like they did last year.
Advantage: VT

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS: The same VT trio of Eddie Royal, David Clowney and Josh Morgan return, but have not been stellar. Greg Olsen’s comeback from a concussion was impressive; especially when he grabbed a 15-yard pass, broke two or three tackles and scampered in for a 41-yard score against Georgia Tech.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE: Virginia Tech shut down Clemson’s two headed running attack. VT did damage with their pass defense, only allowing 86 yards. The ‘Canes kept Calvin Johnson mostly in check. There were no big problems, but a late letdown cost them dearly.
Advantage: VT

D-LINE: GT QB Reggie Ball faced a lot of pressure until he starting rolling out for passes. Calais Campbell exploded out of the gate forcing a fumble in the opening play of the game. VT will try and fill in the gaps left by their graduates from last year.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Glenn Cook’s play awareness helped him scoop up Reggie Ball’s fumble and score Miami’s first defensive touchdown of the year. VT’s Vince Hall and Xavier Adibi are a potent duo to watch. Called “911” because of their numbers combined (9 and 11 respectively), the two are among the team leaders in tackles and sacks.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Miami’s injured secondary held their own against Calvin Johnson. His one touchdown catch was from a yard out. Brandon Meriweather covered Johnson well, including a possible interception. Aaron Rouse is one tough Hokie and is respected as one of the hardest hitters in the ACC.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Jon Peattie nailed every field goal try in Atlanta. VT is known for “Beamer Ball” or special teams play. However, every time Miami has played the Hokies, the Hurricanes have outdone VT’s special teams. Brandon Pace is a consistent place kicker for the Hokies. Their specialty is punt blocking though, which is a concern for Miami punter Brian Monroe.
Advantage: EVEN

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu.