In First Person: Halloween Ibis Ride botched beyond belief

A free shuttle to the Grove on Halloween, what a fantastic idea! It saves student’s money and transports them safely. But someone forgot one important fact: there are hundreds, even thousands, who are interested in that shuttle.

This demand coupled with only three shuttles made for a mob scene outside of the UC on Halloween night.

A scary sight indeed. A gigantic crowd pushing as one, trying to fit inside a shuttle door. Obviously, it had the ingredients to get ugly quickly, and it did.

I was in that logjam. The pushing and shoving was laughable for a second, but then became worrisome and dangerous. A friend’s costume was ripped, putting a damper on her night. People were screaming, trying to create some order in the chaos. It was impossible to move, difficult to breathe and an overall dangerous scenario that could have been much worse.

The crowd should have been wiser, but the university should be ashamed of this scene, knowing that this could have, and most likely, would have evolved in such a manner.

So what should we make out of all of this? For me, it reaffirms the idea that this university has a tendency to do good things very badly. A large crowd trying to fit inside a shuttle door is a familiar sight to those who attend football games at the Orange Bowl, trying to get back to the Metrorail. There is absolute chaos, which ruins the benefit of this fantastic idea.

It worries me that this institution can’t maintain control of a crowd attempting to board a bus. What if this were something more serious, such as an evacuation, which isn’t such a far-fetched idea here in hurricane country. Would all the residents on campus be shoving themselves in to three shuttles? How many students would be injured (or worse) in that situation?

Luckily, the trouble last Tuesday wasn’t as serious. A little advanced planning would remove the need for police back up next time Um students try to go from point A to point B.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu. He was not present at the time of the incicdent, but was there earlier.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...