Chief Justice Roberts to speak at BankUnited Center

John G. Roberts, Jr., chief justice of the United States Supreme Court, will speak as a part of the University Lecutre series at the BankUnited Center on Nov. 13 at 7 p.m.

Jan Crawford Greenburg, an ABC News Supreme Court correspondent, will facilitate the event, which will feature a question and answer session.

He will also visit a communication, law and history class on Nov. 14.

Roberts received his law degree from the Harvard School of Law in 1979. After graduation, he served as a law clerk for Judge Henry Friendly on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, according to the Supreme Court website. He later clerked at U.S. Supreme Court for then-Associate Justice William Rehnquist, along with Dean Colson, chairman of the UM Board of Trustees.

Roberts then joined the Reagan administration in 1981 as special assistant to then-U.S. Attorney General William French Smith. From 1982 to 1986 Roberts served as associate counsel to President Reagan and was later appointed principal deputy solicitor general from 1989 to 1993.

Roberts was appointed to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He was nominated as Chief Justice of the United States by President George W. Bush and took his seat on Sept. 29, 2005.

Roberts lives in Washington D.C. with his wife of ten years, Jane Marie Sullivan, and their two children, Josephine and John.

Marina Nazir also contributed to this article.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...