Chief Justice Roberts to speak at BankUnited Center

John G. Roberts, Jr., chief justice of the United States Supreme Court, will speak as a part of the University Lecutre series at the BankUnited Center on Nov. 13 at 7 p.m.

Jan Crawford Greenburg, an ABC News Supreme Court correspondent, will facilitate the event, which will feature a question and answer session.

He will also visit a communication, law and history class on Nov. 14.

Roberts received his law degree from the Harvard School of Law in 1979. After graduation, he served as a law clerk for Judge Henry Friendly on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, according to the Supreme Court website. He later clerked at U.S. Supreme Court for then-Associate Justice William Rehnquist, along with Dean Colson, chairman of the UM Board of Trustees.

Roberts then joined the Reagan administration in 1981 as special assistant to then-U.S. Attorney General William French Smith. From 1982 to 1986 Roberts served as associate counsel to President Reagan and was later appointed principal deputy solicitor general from 1989 to 1993.

Roberts was appointed to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He was nominated as Chief Justice of the United States by President George W. Bush and took his seat on Sept. 29, 2005.

Roberts lives in Washington D.C. with his wife of ten years, Jane Marie Sullivan, and their two children, Josephine and John.

Marina Nazir also contributed to this article.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...