Sports Briefs

Volleyball
Maryland defeated Miami 3-0 (30-24, 30-24, 30-27) on Oct. 28 at the Comcast Center Pavilion in Baltimore, Md. The Hurricanes fall to 8-14 overall and 5-8 in Atlantic Coast Conference. With the win, the Terrapins move to 10-11 and 3-9 in the ACC.

Jill Robinson led Miami with 27 assists and added nine digs. Senior Frannie Savage provided 10 kills and seven digs.

Maryland jumped out to an early 7-1 advantage over Miami in game one. The ‘Canes were able to even the score at 15. The Terrapins put away five straight points to go up 20-16, a lead they would not relinquish.

Miami came out and dominated game two early with a 13-7 lead. Maryland then went on a 13-3 run to go up 20-16. The Terrapins went on to win 30-24 and took a 2-0 match advantage.

The final game was a back and forth affair until the score was tied at 24-all. Maryland took advantage of late Miami errors and went on to win the third game 30-27 and the match in a sweep.

Swimming and Diving
Miami split a pair of home meets this weekend to Florida State and Western Michigan at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool. The Hurricanes defeated the Hilltoppers 136-106, but fell to the Seminoles 199-98.

Sophomore Kristen Pomerleau and freshman Katie Eason led Miami to first place finishes in nine of the 13 events against Western Kentucky.

Pomerleau won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.94 and the 100-yard freestyle in 51.38. Eason finished first in 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly.

The Hurricanes also took victories in the 200-yard medley relay, 200-yard freestyle relay and the 100-yard breaststroke.

Miami won two diving events including Jenna Dreyer in the one-meter springboard and Heather Bounds in the three-meter springboard.

In the meet against Florida State, the Seminoles won 10 of the 13 events over the Hurricanes.

UM’s senior Heather Bounds won the three-meter diving board with a score of 299.85. Eason took first place in the 200-yard individual medley in a time of 2:07.5. The final victory for the ‘Canes came from the team of Pomerleau, Jennifer Powell, Emerson Davis, and Tina McIntyre in the 400-yard freestyle.

Football
One of the charges against wide receiver Ryan Moore was upgraded to a felony by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office stemming from an on-campus altercation on Aug. 26.

The decision was made after an assessment of the damage inflicted on the vehicle that Moore allegedly kicked in.

Moore was reinstated to the team last week after he surrendered to the University of Miami criminal investigative division of public safety following the initial charges of criminal mischief and simple battery misdemeanors.

Moore is expected to accept a plea offer of a pre-trail diversion program that will include conditions of restitution to the victim, community service hours and anger control classes.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the South Florida Sun Sentinel

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...