Sports Briefs

Volleyball
Maryland defeated Miami 3-0 (30-24, 30-24, 30-27) on Oct. 28 at the Comcast Center Pavilion in Baltimore, Md. The Hurricanes fall to 8-14 overall and 5-8 in Atlantic Coast Conference. With the win, the Terrapins move to 10-11 and 3-9 in the ACC.

Jill Robinson led Miami with 27 assists and added nine digs. Senior Frannie Savage provided 10 kills and seven digs.

Maryland jumped out to an early 7-1 advantage over Miami in game one. The ‘Canes were able to even the score at 15. The Terrapins put away five straight points to go up 20-16, a lead they would not relinquish.

Miami came out and dominated game two early with a 13-7 lead. Maryland then went on a 13-3 run to go up 20-16. The Terrapins went on to win 30-24 and took a 2-0 match advantage.

The final game was a back and forth affair until the score was tied at 24-all. Maryland took advantage of late Miami errors and went on to win the third game 30-27 and the match in a sweep.

Swimming and Diving
Miami split a pair of home meets this weekend to Florida State and Western Michigan at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool. The Hurricanes defeated the Hilltoppers 136-106, but fell to the Seminoles 199-98.

Sophomore Kristen Pomerleau and freshman Katie Eason led Miami to first place finishes in nine of the 13 events against Western Kentucky.

Pomerleau won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.94 and the 100-yard freestyle in 51.38. Eason finished first in 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly.

The Hurricanes also took victories in the 200-yard medley relay, 200-yard freestyle relay and the 100-yard breaststroke.

Miami won two diving events including Jenna Dreyer in the one-meter springboard and Heather Bounds in the three-meter springboard.

In the meet against Florida State, the Seminoles won 10 of the 13 events over the Hurricanes.

UM’s senior Heather Bounds won the three-meter diving board with a score of 299.85. Eason took first place in the 200-yard individual medley in a time of 2:07.5. The final victory for the ‘Canes came from the team of Pomerleau, Jennifer Powell, Emerson Davis, and Tina McIntyre in the 400-yard freestyle.

Football
One of the charges against wide receiver Ryan Moore was upgraded to a felony by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office stemming from an on-campus altercation on Aug. 26.

The decision was made after an assessment of the damage inflicted on the vehicle that Moore allegedly kicked in.

Moore was reinstated to the team last week after he surrendered to the University of Miami criminal investigative division of public safety following the initial charges of criminal mischief and simple battery misdemeanors.

Moore is expected to accept a plea offer of a pre-trail diversion program that will include conditions of restitution to the victim, community service hours and anger control classes.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the South Florida Sun Sentinel

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...