News Briefs

UMNews

School of Law receives $1.2 million from international firm

The international law firm Greenberg Traurig recently donated $1.25 million to the University of Miami School of Law to establish the Larry J. Hoffman Greenberg Traurig Distinguished Professorship in the Business of Law. The donation will be used to support a series of visiting professors, lectures or a permanent faculty member to teach the business of law. Hoffman, one of the founding partners and Chairman of the Board for the firm, chose the law school as the firm’s beneficiary. He along with his wife, Deborah, and son, Kenneth, are all School of Law alumni.

ELSEWhere

Students in Mexico feel doubt, apathy regarding border fence

Jared Taylor // Iowa State Daily (Iowa State U.)

(U-WIRE) CUERNAVACA, Mexico – As President Bush signed new fencing construction along the border between the United States and Mexico into law, Mexican students said new barriers would not deter further illegal immigration.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 will create 700 miles of new barriers along the 2,100-mile southern border. Bush signed the law Thursday morning in Washington before traveling to Des Moines, Iowa, for a Republican fundraiser in the afternoon.

Agustin Bahena, a 20-year-old business management student at Universidad Internacional, said a fence wouldn’t deter Mexicans who want to cross into the United States illegally.

“I think it is a waste of money,” Bahena said. “They are Mexicans, man. They are going to find a way to get into the U.S.”

Although there are an estimated 11 to 12 million illegal immigrants currently living in the United States, the U.S. economy still needs immigrant labor to prosper, Bahena said.

District 5 Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, a longtime proponent of border fencing, said building more walls would help deter illegal immigration. In July, King pitched a border wall he designed to Congress. King’s wall would cost about $1.3 million per mile.

“We are likely to see another terrorist attack in this country,” King said in a statement released Wednesday. “If so, the attacking terrorists are most likely to be smuggled into the U.S. across our Mexican border. We can dramatically reduce the risk by building a wall.”.

ETC

– There are four open senate seats available for the School of Music, School of Nursing, Eaton Residential College and junior class senator. Applications are available in UC 214 and are due Nov. 6 in Speaker Pro Tempore Brandon Gross’ mailbox.

– Don’t forget to get your yearbook picture taken in UC 233. Appointments are available through Nov. 3, Nov 27 through Dec. 1 and Jan. 12 through Jan. 19.

– A reception to benefit the UM-NSU Center for Autism and Related Disabilities will take place in the third floor furniture gallery of Bloomingdale’s Aventura on Nov. 2 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. A $25 donation is required to attend. R.S.V.P. by calling 305-284-9126 or by emailing mke@miami.edu; space is limited. http://www.umcard.org/. Ten percent of the purchases made on November 2 -3 will be donated to the foundation by registering receipts.