Culture

Need Halloween plans? Keep reading…

Already attended Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights? Looking to celebrate Halloween a little closer to home? South Florida has everything you could want to make this year’s ghoulish get together spooktacular.

Halloween on Lincoln Road
Time: 5 p.m.- 1 a.m.
What: Lincoln Road merchants will be handing out candy for the kids from 5-6 p.m. and starting at around 9 p.m. come dressed in costume to win prizes and see the darker side of the South Beach. For more information call 786-355-4848.

‘The Birds’ Halloween at the Forge
Time: Starts at 10 p.m.
What: An Alfred Hitchcock-themed party. Come dressed in costume and celebrate Halloween with Ford Models.
RSVP: 305-538-8533

Gross Out Science
Time: 6-9 p.m.
Where: Museum of Discovery and Science
What: Maybe this is intended for the kids, but who doesn’t love a little cheesy fun on Halloween? Dr. Frank Einstein will open his haunted lab for some ghoulish fun ranging from slime making and monster taming (beware if you’re afraid of spiders) and gross makeup. There will also be pumpkin painting, crafts and lots of candy, perfect for the traditional kiddy Halloween. For more information, contact the museum at 954-467-6637.

Halloween Costume Contest
Time: 7 p.m., 6:30 p.m. for contestants
Where: The Rat
What: Enter to win giftcard prizes or just come to watch your fellow ‘Canes parade around in their best Halloween get-ups.

Halloween Spooktacular
Time: 3-6 p.m.
Where: Young at Art Museum in Davie, Florida
What: Fun includes games, Day of the Dead art workshops, costume parade, trick-or-treating and more. Cost is $8; for more information call 954-424-0085.

Tropical Monster Bash
Time: 6:30-9 p.m.
Where: Hollywood Beach Theater
What: From 6:30-7:30 p.m., kids can enjoy trick-or-treating along Hollywood Beach’s boardwalk and starting at 7:30 p.m. there will be live music and costume contests. For more information call 954-921-3404.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...