Editorial: BRING OUT THE VOTE

It’s only a week until midterm elections, and America is at a crossroads-and if America is at a crossroads, the world is at a crossroads. Whether or not the election results will affect us for better or worse is a matter of debate-and the winning philosophy of said debate will take control of the workings of Congress and 36 governorships once November 7 comes and goes.

The results of the midterm elections will directly influence everyone in the world, and that includes the over 15,000 students pursuing academic excellence in our little corner of Coral Gables. It is this sense of urgency that has the entire country buzzing.

Issues such as the Iraq war effort, illegal immigration, gas prices (and its closely-related issue, energy dependence), the Iranian question, and now North Korea’s newfound nukes, indicate that the country, and the world, is on the brink of a major crisis, and whoever wins these elections will decide how to go about averting such a crisis.

And yet, campus is silent. Students have not been as motivated or involved as they could be, which is a shame, as the candidates who rise to, or stay in, power after the election will make decisions that directly affect our lives.

Some people say they just don’t have time. Sure, everyone’s schedules are hectic, but consider, for one minute, all the struggles throughout history to give people the right to vote. Not just the American Revolution, but also the Suffragette movement, the anti-Apartheid movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the wave of revolutions in the Soviet bloc during the final years of the Cold War. All were driven by the desire to participate in the democratic process.

Also, take a moment to remember those who long to, but can’t, vote. Just ask the people in North Korea or Sudan how much they’d love to have a say in how their daily lives are run, then a couple of tests or meetings suddenly seem irrelevant when compared to what people go through, and have been through, to be able to make a difference.

It’s sad to see college students, in particular, not give the issues a second thought, considering we’re the ones who will have to deal with the fallout of any rash decisions made by our elected officials and if we don’t vote, then we really have no right to complain. The future is now-and it’s being determined at the polling stations.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...