Cult classic time warps UM

Transvestites from Transsexual Transylvania invaded the Hillel Jewish Student Center last week, and will continue their mad run on stage through Nov. 4 every night, except Fridays. So until then, students should expect to see men and women alike in garish make-up and slinky outfits doing the Time Warp in the spirit of The Rocky Horror Show.

The largely freshman cast of Quantum’s fall production, originally made famous by the Richard O’Brien’s 1975 film, performed very well. A hilariously erotic and outrageous Frankenstein parody, the musical is probably the most famous cult classic of all time and is just the kind of craziness college students clamor for. The show also features a not-so-subtle Dr. Strangelove reference in the form of Dr. Everett Scott, played by Richard Russell.

Nick Liotta expertly portrayed Frank-N-Furter, Tim Curry’s twisted transvestite character in the movie – though without Curry’s signature curly black wig and white face make-up. Liotta’s attitude and swagger were right on target, as were his vocals.

Tim Murray and Rachelle Weiner (Brad and Janet, respectively) also pulled off their roles in a glowing fashion, capturing the essence of their out-of-place characters at Frank-N-Furter’s castle. Murray’s Brad proved that, dammit, he loved Janet, but Weiner’s depiction of his love interest was particularly outstanding. Specifically, her vocals stood out among her fellow females – Frank-N-Furter excluded. Contrastingly, a couple performers could simply not hit the high notes.

Impeding the vocals of several cast members throughout show were microphones that occasionally failed to capture the performer’s voice or that were not set loud enough to be heard over the orchestra. On that note, the band was flawless in their performance of the catchy rock soundtrack.

Songs like “Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me” and “Rose Tint My World” let the audience know it’s okay to let their inhibitions go. In the latter, the title character, Rocky (Eric Stapf), told the crowd of over 100 that “the only thing to [he’s] come to trust is an orgasmic rush of lust” after being created seven hours earlier by Frank-N-Furter. At the end of the show, “The Time Warp” reprise brought more than half of the audience members to their feet.

Dancing at the end was not the only way the crowd interacted – far from it. One reason Rocky Horror is such a classic is that audience participation is integral in the show. For instance, some individuals purchased prop packs, which included confetti for the marriage of Frank-N-Furter and Rocky as well as miniature lights for when it is raining. Noticeably absent though were water guns to simulate rain, not to mention flying pieces of toast, rolls of toilet paper and playing cards. Nevertheless, the experience was a most enjoyable one, proving that the live version of Rocky Horror surely beats sitting and watching the film at home.

There will be a special “late night, double feature, picture show” at 10 p.m. on Halloween. All other shows are at 8 p.m. For more information, please visit www.gotoquantum.com. Tickets may be purchased at the UM Ticketmaster window or reserved via by emailing umquantum@yahoo.com.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...