Cross Country Teams Bottom Out

The University of Miami cross country teams failed to produce any results at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship on Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. The Hurricanes finished last in team competition in both men’s and women’s divisions.

UM’s Jon Scheiner led the men’s cross country team with a 53rd place finish over the eight kilometer course in 26:14.5. Other notable finishes came from senior Zach Castiglione who finished 71st with a time of 26:44.0 and sophomore Andrew Chuplis placed 76th in 26:48.5.

Miami finished last of the 12 teams competing in the ACC championship with 348 points. North Carolina State won the team competition with 31 points. Florida State finished second and Virginia came in third.

The team victory for the Wolfpack was their 14th league title under their Head Coach Rollie Geiger.

Senior Itay Magidi of Clemson won the individual competition with a time of 23:52.5. Andrew Lemoncello of Florida State and Virginia’s Jan Foerster rounded out the top three.

DeeDee Phlatts led the women’s cross country with a 68th place finish with a time of 23:52.5 in the ACC championship. The Hurricanes had five of the seven worst individual finishes from the race.

The next best finish came from Ena Leufroy who came in 80th with a time of 24:57.4.

The UM women’s cross country team finished with 384 points, 41 points worse then any other team.

NC State won the women’s cross country team title as well. It was the 20th league championship won under Head Coach Laurie Henes. Duke and Virginia finished out the top three.

Julia Lucas of NC State won the individual title with a time of 20:42.1. Michelle Sikes of Wake Forest and Duke’s Emily McCabe rounded out the top three.

The Hurricanes will compete in the NCAA South Region Championships on Nov. 11 in Knoxville, Tenn.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...