Cross Country Teams Bottom Out

The University of Miami cross country teams failed to produce any results at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship on Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. The Hurricanes finished last in team competition in both men’s and women’s divisions.

UM’s Jon Scheiner led the men’s cross country team with a 53rd place finish over the eight kilometer course in 26:14.5. Other notable finishes came from senior Zach Castiglione who finished 71st with a time of 26:44.0 and sophomore Andrew Chuplis placed 76th in 26:48.5.

Miami finished last of the 12 teams competing in the ACC championship with 348 points. North Carolina State won the team competition with 31 points. Florida State finished second and Virginia came in third.

The team victory for the Wolfpack was their 14th league title under their Head Coach Rollie Geiger.

Senior Itay Magidi of Clemson won the individual competition with a time of 23:52.5. Andrew Lemoncello of Florida State and Virginia’s Jan Foerster rounded out the top three.

DeeDee Phlatts led the women’s cross country with a 68th place finish with a time of 23:52.5 in the ACC championship. The Hurricanes had five of the seven worst individual finishes from the race.

The next best finish came from Ena Leufroy who came in 80th with a time of 24:57.4.

The UM women’s cross country team finished with 384 points, 41 points worse then any other team.

NC State won the women’s cross country team title as well. It was the 20th league championship won under Head Coach Laurie Henes. Duke and Virginia finished out the top three.

Julia Lucas of NC State won the individual title with a time of 20:42.1. Michelle Sikes of Wake Forest and Duke’s Emily McCabe rounded out the top three.

The Hurricanes will compete in the NCAA South Region Championships on Nov. 11 in Knoxville, Tenn.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...