Cross Country Teams Bottom Out

The University of Miami cross country teams failed to produce any results at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship on Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. The Hurricanes finished last in team competition in both men’s and women’s divisions.

UM’s Jon Scheiner led the men’s cross country team with a 53rd place finish over the eight kilometer course in 26:14.5. Other notable finishes came from senior Zach Castiglione who finished 71st with a time of 26:44.0 and sophomore Andrew Chuplis placed 76th in 26:48.5.

Miami finished last of the 12 teams competing in the ACC championship with 348 points. North Carolina State won the team competition with 31 points. Florida State finished second and Virginia came in third.

The team victory for the Wolfpack was their 14th league title under their Head Coach Rollie Geiger.

Senior Itay Magidi of Clemson won the individual competition with a time of 23:52.5. Andrew Lemoncello of Florida State and Virginia’s Jan Foerster rounded out the top three.

DeeDee Phlatts led the women’s cross country with a 68th place finish with a time of 23:52.5 in the ACC championship. The Hurricanes had five of the seven worst individual finishes from the race.

The next best finish came from Ena Leufroy who came in 80th with a time of 24:57.4.

The UM women’s cross country team finished with 384 points, 41 points worse then any other team.

NC State won the women’s cross country team title as well. It was the 20th league championship won under Head Coach Laurie Henes. Duke and Virginia finished out the top three.

Julia Lucas of NC State won the individual title with a time of 20:42.1. Michelle Sikes of Wake Forest and Duke’s Emily McCabe rounded out the top three.

The Hurricanes will compete in the NCAA South Region Championships on Nov. 11 in Knoxville, Tenn.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...