Sports Briefs

Women’s Golf

UM junior Jessica Steward was named the Golfweek Women’s Player of the Week following her victory at the Georgian Southern University at the Pelican Preserve Invite last week.

Steward established a new University of Miami 54-hole scoring record of 209 (69-68-72) in her first collegiate victory.

Women’s Track and Field

UM Track and Field announced on Oct. 24 that Todd Lane has been added to the Hurricane coaching staff. Lane will specialize on jumpers and multi-events.

Lane most recently worked at Ball State for two seasons as an assistant coach for the men’s and women’s programs before being named the interim head coach for the women’s track and field in August.

Lane helped coach Ball State to a second place finish at the 2006 MAC Indoor Championships.

Women’s Swimming

University of Miami defeated Florida International University in the season opener on Oct. 20 at the Bay Vista Aquatic Center. The Hurricanes won 10 of 11 events over the Golden Panthers.

Kristen Pomerleau and Ashley Knapp helped lead Miami to victories in six of those 10 events.

Volleyball

Miami defeated Wake Forest 3-1 (30-23, 30-27, 30-32, 30-23) at the Knight Sports Complex on Oct. 22. UM improved to 8-13 overall and 5-7 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. With the loss, Wake Forest drops to 11-9 overall and 7-4 in conference play.

Outside hitter Lauren Rinderknecht registered her first double-double of the season with 10 kills and 10 digs. Setter Jill Robinson also achieved a double-double with 47 assists and 14 digs. Senior Frannie Savage led all players will 20 kills.

Baseball

The University of Miami released the 2007 baseball schedule, which features 10 NCAA Tournament teams.

The Hurricanes are coming off a 42-24 overall record and a fifth-place finish at the College World Series last season. The Hurricanes will look to extend their NCAA record 34 consecutive postseason appearances.

The home schedule is highlighted by visits from UCLA (Feb. 9-11), Georgia Tech (April 6-8), and Florida State (April 27-29). Miami will open the season against Mercer on Feb. 2.

Pro Basketball

Former Hurricane Robert Hite scored his first points for the Miami Heat in a preseason game against the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on Oct. 17. In 21 minutes of action, Hite shot three for seven from the field, totaling eight points.

Hite came back with a 25-point performance against Memphis Oct. 20 on 10-14 shooting.

Hite is attempting to make the 15-man roster for the Heat.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...