MATCHUP: MIAMI VS GA TECH

OFFENSE: Georgia Tech needs to show success on the ground with Reggie Ball and Tashard Choice. With all the starters back from suspension, look for the resurgence of the old Miami pro-set I formation with James Bryant at fullback.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

O-LINE: Georgia Tech’s interior linemen are small, but the unit only gave up two sacks to Clemson (although they couldn’t open running lanes). Miami’s front MUST do better than last year, where they allowed seven sacks. Derrick Morse is back from suspension, which will help.
Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACKS: Miami MUST have a better running game than a year ago against Tech. The ‘Canes only gained 30 yards on 30 carries. Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice will have to have success on the ground after only 3.2 yards per carry against Clemson; but he will face another very tough run defense.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS: Lance Leggett led the ‘Canes in yards and number of receptions against Duke. Sam Shields caught two TD passes as well. Greg Olsen should be cleared play this week. One name is all you need to know: Calvin Johnson. Somehow Clemson held him without a single catch last week, but he the best receiver Miami will face all year.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright looked fine against Duke with 299 yards. If he doesn’t get sacked as many times as he did last year, he should do much better. Reggie Ball put in his worst performance of the year in a big game against Clemson. He cannot afford another performance like last week’s eight yards on 12 carries.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE: Georgia Tech’s unit was exposed last week allowing Clemson’s duo of backs to run for a collective 321 yards. Miami’s run defense is solid, allowing an average of only 62.9 yards per game. So far, that’s better than the defensive from the 1989 national championship team.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Joe Anoai is a tough lineman to stop. He sacked Notre Dame’s Brady Quinn for a 17-yard loss back in Tech’s season opener. Miami did not manage to sack Duke’s quarterback last week although the line did a good job running down Duke’s option plays.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: The possible absence of Jon Beason is a big concern for Miami. KaMichael Hall is Georgia Tech’s leading tackler and a preseason All-ACC selection.
Advantage: EVEN

SECONDARY: I wouldn’t be surprised if Kenny Phillips plays corner against Calvin Johnson this weekend. After Phillips moved to corner for the Duke game, he came away tied in the ACC for interceptions. Tech corner Kenny Scott has had only four interceptions in his career, but he’s returned two for score.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Peattie nailed a 50-yard field goal. The punt unit suffered problems due to Brian Monroe’s one game suspension. Tech Punter Durant Brooks is 11th in the country in yards per punt, and Travis Bell has never missed a PAT.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...