MATCHUP: MIAMI VS GA TECH

OFFENSE: Georgia Tech needs to show success on the ground with Reggie Ball and Tashard Choice. With all the starters back from suspension, look for the resurgence of the old Miami pro-set I formation with James Bryant at fullback.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

O-LINE: Georgia Tech’s interior linemen are small, but the unit only gave up two sacks to Clemson (although they couldn’t open running lanes). Miami’s front MUST do better than last year, where they allowed seven sacks. Derrick Morse is back from suspension, which will help.
Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACKS: Miami MUST have a better running game than a year ago against Tech. The ‘Canes only gained 30 yards on 30 carries. Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice will have to have success on the ground after only 3.2 yards per carry against Clemson; but he will face another very tough run defense.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS: Lance Leggett led the ‘Canes in yards and number of receptions against Duke. Sam Shields caught two TD passes as well. Greg Olsen should be cleared play this week. One name is all you need to know: Calvin Johnson. Somehow Clemson held him without a single catch last week, but he the best receiver Miami will face all year.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright looked fine against Duke with 299 yards. If he doesn’t get sacked as many times as he did last year, he should do much better. Reggie Ball put in his worst performance of the year in a big game against Clemson. He cannot afford another performance like last week’s eight yards on 12 carries.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE: Georgia Tech’s unit was exposed last week allowing Clemson’s duo of backs to run for a collective 321 yards. Miami’s run defense is solid, allowing an average of only 62.9 yards per game. So far, that’s better than the defensive from the 1989 national championship team.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Joe Anoai is a tough lineman to stop. He sacked Notre Dame’s Brady Quinn for a 17-yard loss back in Tech’s season opener. Miami did not manage to sack Duke’s quarterback last week although the line did a good job running down Duke’s option plays.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: The possible absence of Jon Beason is a big concern for Miami. KaMichael Hall is Georgia Tech’s leading tackler and a preseason All-ACC selection.
Advantage: EVEN

SECONDARY: I wouldn’t be surprised if Kenny Phillips plays corner against Calvin Johnson this weekend. After Phillips moved to corner for the Duke game, he came away tied in the ACC for interceptions. Tech corner Kenny Scott has had only four interceptions in his career, but he’s returned two for score.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Peattie nailed a 50-yard field goal. The punt unit suffered problems due to Brian Monroe’s one game suspension. Tech Punter Durant Brooks is 11th in the country in yards per punt, and Travis Bell has never missed a PAT.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...