MATCHUP: MIAMI VS GA TECH

OFFENSE: Georgia Tech needs to show success on the ground with Reggie Ball and Tashard Choice. With all the starters back from suspension, look for the resurgence of the old Miami pro-set I formation with James Bryant at fullback.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

O-LINE: Georgia Tech’s interior linemen are small, but the unit only gave up two sacks to Clemson (although they couldn’t open running lanes). Miami’s front MUST do better than last year, where they allowed seven sacks. Derrick Morse is back from suspension, which will help.
Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACKS: Miami MUST have a better running game than a year ago against Tech. The ‘Canes only gained 30 yards on 30 carries. Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice will have to have success on the ground after only 3.2 yards per carry against Clemson; but he will face another very tough run defense.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS: Lance Leggett led the ‘Canes in yards and number of receptions against Duke. Sam Shields caught two TD passes as well. Greg Olsen should be cleared play this week. One name is all you need to know: Calvin Johnson. Somehow Clemson held him without a single catch last week, but he the best receiver Miami will face all year.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright looked fine against Duke with 299 yards. If he doesn’t get sacked as many times as he did last year, he should do much better. Reggie Ball put in his worst performance of the year in a big game against Clemson. He cannot afford another performance like last week’s eight yards on 12 carries.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE: Georgia Tech’s unit was exposed last week allowing Clemson’s duo of backs to run for a collective 321 yards. Miami’s run defense is solid, allowing an average of only 62.9 yards per game. So far, that’s better than the defensive from the 1989 national championship team.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Joe Anoai is a tough lineman to stop. He sacked Notre Dame’s Brady Quinn for a 17-yard loss back in Tech’s season opener. Miami did not manage to sack Duke’s quarterback last week although the line did a good job running down Duke’s option plays.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: The possible absence of Jon Beason is a big concern for Miami. KaMichael Hall is Georgia Tech’s leading tackler and a preseason All-ACC selection.
Advantage: EVEN

SECONDARY: I wouldn’t be surprised if Kenny Phillips plays corner against Calvin Johnson this weekend. After Phillips moved to corner for the Duke game, he came away tied in the ACC for interceptions. Tech corner Kenny Scott has had only four interceptions in his career, but he’s returned two for score.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Peattie nailed a 50-yard field goal. The punt unit suffered problems due to Brian Monroe’s one game suspension. Tech Punter Durant Brooks is 11th in the country in yards per punt, and Travis Bell has never missed a PAT.
Advantage: GEORGIA TECH

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...