Heinicke dominates in victory over North Florida

Forward Bryn Heinicke scored two goals while North Florida only netted one in a 4-1 victory by Miami women’s soccer on Tuesday at Cobb Stadium.

The four goals by the Hurricanes marked the largest goal output in one game by Miami since the 2002 season. Miami improves to 8-8-1 overall with the win and North Florida drops to 11-5-1 on the season.

The Hurricanes defense swallowed up all offensive threats by the Ospreys. UM goalie Lauren McAdam saw only three shots overall and only one on goal. Meanwhile, the ‘Canes made 11 attempts at the North Florida goal.

Heinicke’s first goal marked the only scoring of the first half and gave Miami a quick 1-0 lead. Paulelette Ricks-Chambers set up the goal with a pass to the right side of the box where Heinicke put the ball into the far-left corner from 20 yards out for the goal in the 17th minute.

It took the Hurricanes until the 48th minute to score again. This time Rachael Rigamat beat UNF goalie Heather Gosselin to just inside the far-left post for Rigamat’s fifth goal on the season.

North Florida answered back in the 53rd minute with a goal by Christine Brewer aided by an assist from Lena Mullaney to draw UNF to within a goal 2-1.

Heinicke would answer back with her final score of the game two minutes later on a Sheuneen Ta assist. Jessica Wyble added a final insurance goal for Miami in the 66th minute, which ended the scoring 4-1.

“I really thought everyone played well tonight,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro told Hurricanesports.com. “I think we were extremely creative in the shots we were able to take. I was really pleased with the way we scored, every goal seem to come out of a different situation.”

Miami finishes up the regular season tonight against Duke tonight at Cobb Stadium at 7 p.m. The Hurricanes have already been eliminated from Atlantic Coast Conference tournament contention.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...