A grueling experience at the health center

I went to the Student Health Center the other day. By my senior year, I’ve discovered that the best tactic, for me anyway, is to go when you have a block of time, at least a few hours, and bring something to read/study so you won’t be bored stiff.

Before I continue, I should specify, in case there was ever any doubt: I am a social science major. I am not pre-med. I am no expert, and given my diet and exercise regime, it’s a miracle that I’ve survived this long-Darwin is rolling in his grave, and any day I’m waiting for natural selection and the Grim Reaper to knock at my door and laugh hysterically at my bewildered/surprised look. And if you haven’t already noticed, I’m also really good at sticking my foot in my mouth-so I don’t take my medical conjectures seriously and neither should you.

I was very concerned this time, because I thought I had appendicitis or something-and yes, I do watch Grey’s Anatomy, and yes, sitcoms are the source of most of my medical knowledge. Anyway, it wasn’t as serious as I thought it was, so I screamed “Hallelujah!” and left it at that.

She said it so confidently, that I was comforted enough and went on my merry way. I took that to mean, “You’ll be fine, it’s nothing to worry about.” It later occurred to me, however, that Ebola and HIV are also viruses, at which point I realized that I had misinterpreted the confidence. It wasn’t a “you’ll survive” assurance so much as a “it’s not bacterial, so there’s nothing we can do about it” dismissal.

Seriously, I figure when she examined me, looking down my throat she would have noticed if my internal organs were liquefying, or some other slight abnormality, but given some of the diagnoses I’ve been given in the past, I have my doubts. For instance, I once told them I was dizzy, and they told me I had vertigo (really, a fancy medical term for “dizzy”). Another time I went in with a cold, and looked at the “unless there is evidence of a bacterial infection, you should NOT use antibiotics!” brochure while I was waiting for the doctor. She told me I had a cold, and that she would prescribe me an antibiotic. I asked her if there was evidence of a bacterial infection, and she effectively said, “No, definitely not, but have some just in case, for shits and giggles!”

I went out to dinner with a friend of mine soon after that. She said, “Have you been eating much? Because if you don’t eat much, your stomach will act up like that.” I told her I haven’t been eating much of anything recently, lending credence to her diagnosis.

Then I started eating more, and my stomach’s settled down. I’m so glad I wasted my time at the health center. Next time I’ll just go to my friend instead.

Bethany Quinn is a senior majoring in Latin American studies and photography. She may be contacted at b.quinn2@umiami.edu

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...