Volleyball struggling in ACC play

Despite senior Frannie Savage’s match-high 19 kills, the Miami Hurricanes (7-13, 4-7) were unable to notch a victory at home on Friday against Duke University. The Blue Devils, who are first in the Atlantic Coast Conference, defeated UM in three straight games.

Savage’s kills paired with senior setter Jill Robinson’s 35 assists and freshman libero Cassie Loessberg’s team-high eight digs were not enough to propel UM past an aggressive Blue Devil squad.

In game one both teams played evenly, posting seven tied scores. With the score tied at nine, Duke managed to pull ahead after a Hurricane service error. Though UM stayed within three points, Duke widened its lead following a key attack error by junior Ciara Michel. From there, Duke held on to its lead to seal the victory 30-22.

Costly errors in game two kept the Hurricanes from finding their rhythm against a sharper, faster Duke team, which out-hustled UM early on. After jumping to a 6-1 lead, the Blue Devils pulled away and won 30-20.

The Hurricanes opened game three with much more energy, quickly taking an 8-4 lead. But the Blue Devils did not allow UM to stretch that lead by more than four. After trailing 23-21, Duke pulled ahead with six straight points. However, Miami managed to rally back and edge within one point, 29-28, until a kill by Duke’s Carrie DeMange sealed the match 30-28.

Though Duke served six more service aces than Miami’s two, the Hurricanes were able to out-dig the Blue Devils 41-32. Such numbers are pleasing to Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch, considering Duke’s players lead the ACC in digs, assists and points per game.

“We fought very hard and were fired up to play. At times we looked great and I think we’ve playing at a much higher level,” Lantagne Welch said. “I definitely think we could’ve blocked better. I don’t think we touched enough of their attacks. They hit at a ridiculous percentage in the first two games, so we started digging more balls in game three. We just have to be very consistent with our first touch so other teams can’t get in a groove.”

Before facing Duke, the ‘Canes snapped Florida State University’s four-game winning streak on the road in a match that was pushed to a fifth game.

Despite dropping the first two games 30-27 and 30-16, UM regained its composure after the intermission and controlled the next three 30-22, 20-28, and 15-9.

Savage led UM with 18 kills, while Robinson recorded a match-high and personal best 58 assists. Michel contributed four blocks.

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...