Orange brawl not reflective of students ‘ attitudes

All it took was one night to erase all the progress made towards cleaning up our school’s reputation. Instead of being known as the school who hosted the 2004 Presidential Debate and the Dalai Lama a couple of years ago, since that fateful Saturday evening when a helmet was swung at an FIU player, our old rep is coming back to haunt us, as seen by the resurgence of unflattering nicknames like “Thug U” and “Hurri-cons.”

It doesn’t take much to figure out that, especially in schools known for their football programs, teams represent their institutions, both on the field and off. Unfortunately, the infamous fight looked bad on the entire student body. When Anthony Reddick swung that helmet at the FIU player, he did so on behalf of everyone enrolled at the university.

This is unfortunate, as the vast majority of the students are intelligent, industrious individuals brimming with ambition and a sense of decency. Any student who went through the admissions process during the past four years can attest to this. Most of us did not condone the players’ behavior, but will future employers even think about that?

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...