New Coppola film fills up belly of hungry audience

Sophia Coppola is only 35 years old and already she has made three great films – not a small feat by any stretch. Her third film, the unconventional telling of Marie Antoinette’s early years, is a candy-coated film about a na’ve girl placed under circumstances which yield her essentially powerless when, in fact, she has all the power in the world.

The film takes its time as it introduces us to Marie (Kirsten Dunst) as she’s being swept off from her Austria home to France at 15 to marry Louis XVI. At first, Marie is overwhelmed by the superficialities of her new lifestyle, but eventually learns to conform in order to properly assume her role as queen. From there, it’s all cake.and lots of it. At least until the French Revolution kicks in.

The film’s performances are all spot-on. Particularly Dunst, who captures the simplicity and childishness of her character in cleverly placed mannerisms and facial expressions. It would be an oversight if she doesn’t receive an Academy Award nomination.

It goes without saying that the costumes and sets were all magnificent as well. Coppola was given access to the real Versailles for the shoot, and the splendor of the place shows in every frame; the film is gorgeous to look at it.

Many critics were aghast at the soundtrack for the film, primarily made-up of 80s pop music. Interestingly enough, the music doesn’t really feel out of place in the context of Coppola’s film. This is not a historical account of Antoinette but rather a character study. And, in that sense, the music works.

The only problem Antoinette runs into is its length. It is simply too long at 123 minutes. A tighter cut, maybe 20 minutes shorter, would have rendered a nearly flawless film. Instead, we are left with a great one.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...