Freshman dies in Miami Beach

Erik Swanson, a freshman majoring in marketing and finance, died on Oct. 6 in Miami Beach. He was 18 years old.

A sports fan, Erik played soccer, basketball and lacrosse, according to his Facebook profile. Hailing from St. Louis, MO, Swanson played on his high school lacrosse team and was named to the 2006 Lacrosse All Conference Team, according to a piece in the St. Louis Dispatch.

The piece also said that he enjoyed steaks, travel, animals, cars and being with his friends.

His friends posted more than 80 messages on his Facebook wall, expressing their feelings and thoughts.

The university called Swanson’s death a “sad and tragic thing.” The university had little other information because the death occurred off campus.

The Miami Hurricane also contacted the funeral home in St. Louis, but, citing the family’s request, could not release any information.

Swanson leaves behind his two parents and three sisters.

A memorial service took place outside of the master apartment of Mahoney Residential College on Oct. 18.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...