Football team has lost sight of the game

What does a student athlete learn from sitting out a game that the team wins? Not much.

Thirteen players were handed suspensions after a bench clearing brawl broke out last Saturday during the game against Florida International.

In exchange for the one game suspension, Miami won against Duke 20-15 and suffered a serious tongue lashing from national media. Nothing more.

Miami shouldn’t fire Head Coach Larry Coker over this. Miami shouldn’t expel every player involved. Miami shouldn’t shut down the program. But, there should be more done than a stiff warning and a one game suspension.

Losing to Duke would’ve been a bitter pill to swallow for a team that has been a powerhouse program for decades. Miami didn’t lose to Duke, so suspended players still have the taste of victory in their mouths and their sights set on Georgia Tech.

If it were the Student Government who was involved in a fight with another university, there would be no doubt in anyone’s mind that the punishment would be more than to sit out the next Senate meeting. Why should athletes be treated any differently?

It’s deplorable that the players behaved the way they did. Sure, they were defending their teammates but it undoubtedly got out of hand when you have players using their helmets as weapons, stomping on others heads and one who ran and punched a guy on crutches.

It’s sad when a football team puts more energy into a fight on the field than actually playing the game of football. If only the offensive line could hit as hard during a game as they did in the fight.

Now instead of rebuilding a two-loss football team, the Miami image has been further dragged through the mud. Even the academics at UM have been scrutinized by media outlets who have revived the “Thug U” image.

It’s not cool or tough and Miami doesn’t have the “swagger” back. That swagger meant that the ‘Canes could back up talk with action, with wins. Shutting out FIU, a relatively new football program, is not means for declaring that this team is the same as the 1991, 2001 and even the 2002 teams who did have the swagger.

Yes, the media has taken this incident and blown it out of proportion. Of course they ignored the fight that broke out between Holy Cross and Dartmouth because it isn’t as easy to call those teams “thugs” or to defame the quality of such universities.

So, Miami has to set an example and prove that not everyone carries a hand gun and is looking for a fight. Students have to stop telling the players the fight was awesome and expect more from their athletes.

The entire focus of this team has to be reevaluated. Instead of defending the “U” the team needs to go out and play the game that made Miami football what it still should be today.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...