Lake Osceola walk helps fund myeloma research

When Denise Vidot discovered her father was diagnosed with myeloma, a cancer of the blood caused by cells in the bone marrow, she decided to raise money for the disease and educate the community by sponsoring a walk around Lake Osceola.

“When I started asking people if they knew about myeloma no one did,” said Vidot, president of the Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority. “So I felt a walk would be the best way to spread awareness.”

Vidot hosted a walk for myeloma last year which brought in about 50 participants. This year, Vidot had 100 people who pre-registered alone and she hopes that the event will raise $10,000 for myeloma research.

According to The National Cancer Institute, there are over 13,500 new cases of myeloma in the U.S. every year and the disease affects twice as many African-Americans as Caucasians.

“A walk for myeloma is very important for the African community since [the disease]affects us at such a higher rate,” said Patrick St. Arromand, a senior and a member of Brothers Overcoming Negativity and Destruction.

Though most of the Myeloma Walk participants were UM students, others came from the Greater Miami area and other parts of Florida.

“My dad passed away from myeloma so when my wife heard about the walk she thought it would be a good idea to be involved,” Jim Pande, a walk participant, said. Pande drove down from Jupiter, Fla. with his children, wife, cousin and mother.

Pande’s father was diagnosed with myeloma after a blood test showed he was anemic with high protein levels. He then underwent chemotherapy treatment, stem cell treatment and a bone marrow transplant for which he had to travel to Arkansas. He lost about 6 inches in height and died four months after diagnosis.

“Since myeloma is incurable, you’re basically on treatment for the rest of your life,” Vicki Anderson-Ferraro, a myeloma patient and support group leader, said.

The Pande family learned about the walk through the Myeloma Minute Newsletter, and hopes to spread awareness of the disease since few people know about myeloma.

“When we first heard he was diagnosed with myeloma we thought, what is that?” Maudie Pande, Jim Pande’s mother, said. “We thought maybe it was melanoma.”

After being diagnosed with myeloma, many patients join support groups and attend seminars to learn more about the disease. The International Myeloma Foundation provides patients, families and friends with information about treatment, support and notification of myeloma-related events.

“The IMF has been a tremendous support,” Marti Snyder, a myeloma support group member, said. Snyder found out about the walk at UM through the IMF.

At the start of the walk, each participant received a balloon to symbolize hope for a cure or the memory of a loved one who has passed away from myeloma. At the end of the walk, each participant let their balloon go, symbolizing the raising of awareness and spirits at the same time.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...