Students get paid while sitting at home

An emerging trend in student employment now allows students to work from home.

Typical jobs offered include answering calls for pizza delivery, conducting political surveys and ordering equipment for specific companies-jobs pay anywhere from $7 to $20 per hour.

When virtual call centers were first established, they were mainly popular with stay-at-home moms. Now, according to a report by LiveOps, a company that offers work-from-home customer service, the percentage of college students working from home is increasing, quickly making college students the most prominent home-based employees.

The company lists one of the chief benefits of home employment that appeals to students is that there is the fact that they do not need to commute to work.

Tim Whipple, vice president of Live Ops agent services, points out that the increasing number student employmees results from the flexibility of the working hours.

“[Live Ops] gives independent contractors the ability to make as much as they want so that they can still have time to study, socialize and sleep,” Whipple said. “[Live Ops] also helps students lead a balanced lifestyle.”

Lauren Stiteler, a senior at the University of Charleston in South Carolina, has been a contracting agent for Live Ops for two and a half years. She says the best part of her job is that she can set her own work hours.

“Last week I was really busy and so I did not go to work,” Stiteler said. “On average, however, I work 15 hours a week.”

Alpine Access, Willow CSN and VIPdesk are three other established services that let agents work for companies such as 1-800 Flowers, Office Depot, AAA Auto Clubs, Virgin Atlantic and the Internal Revenue Service. Agents are paid biweekly, either receiving a check in the mail or through direct deposit.

Once hired, potential agents are given an examination to test their reading comprehension and are also required to take a voice audition. These procedures ensure that individuals getting hired for these jobs are qualified to represent the company they chose to work for.

This type of job is extremely self-motivating and is not meant for everyone.

Though there are many advantages to this form of work, there are some disadvantages as well. For instance, Live Ops, Alpine Access, Willow CSN and VIPdesk are incompatible with Macs.

Also, though these jobs can be done at home at one’s own convenience, hired agents are required to obtain a cordless land-line phone to be used strictly for work related purposes. Additionally, though these companies do not require fees, they do charge $30 in order to perform routine credit and background checks.

According to an ABC News “Good Morning America” article, there are about 100,000 home-based agents in the United States and that number is expected to reach 300,000 by the year 2010.

Valerie Reyes may be contacted at v.reyes1@umiami.edu

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...