Sports Briefs

Football

Senior wide out Darnell Jenkins will likely undergo season-ending surgery to repair the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his right knee. Jenkins became injured during the game against Louisville.

Jenkins can apply for a medical redshirt and if granted, can return to the team next season. Before the injury, Jenkins led the team with 13 catches for 183 yards.

With Jenkins out, freshman Sam Shields will remain as the second starting wide receiver.

Tight end Greg Olson earned an Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week award following his performance against the University of North Carolina where he caught eight passes for 95 yards.

Head Coach Larry Coker expects Tyrone Moss to return to the field this Saturday against Florida International. Moss is still recovering season-ending knee surgery that occurred during a victory over Virginia Tech last year.

Women’s Soccer

University of Miami (7-5-1, 1-3-1) played to a scoreless tie at the University of Maryland (4-7-2, 0-4-1) on Sunday.

Hurricane goalie Lauren McAdam set the single-season record with her sixth shutout. Elizabeth Swinson, who recorded 5.5 shutouts in 1999, held the previous mark. McAdam saved seven shots to help earn Miami the point.

Miami’s best scoring chance came at the end of the first half. Jenna Levenson took a free kick and her shot was deflected off the cross bar by Maryland goalie Nikki Resnick.

The ‘Canes are currently tied for eighth place in the ACC with four points. North Carolina leads with 18 points.

Women’s Volleyball

The University of North Carolina (4-12, 2-5) swept the University of Miami (6-10, 3-4) last Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex (30-28, 30-23, 30-14).

The Hurricanes committed 44 attack errors that led to the Tar Heels taking an early 14-10 lead in the first game. Ashley Woods and Lauren Rinderknecht helped UM close UNC’s lead within a point (29-28) with back-to-back kills. North Carolina’s Amy Beaver put away the final kill to give UNC the victory and an early 1-0 advantage.

Game two went back and forth with neither team dominating the court. The score was tied five times and saw multiple lead changes. Errors continued to haunt Miami; three consecutive errors helped North Carolina go-ahead 23-17. As a result, UNC cruised to a 30-23 victory.

The final game was dominated by North Carolina. The Hurricanes kept it close early but the Tar Heels pulled away in the middle of the match. UNC won the third game 30-14, taking the match.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...