Culture

Citizen Cope tries to be everything, and more

Citizen Cope, comprised of Clarence Greenwood and some weird, slightly psychedelic music, is a toxic blend of sorts. Rarely uninventive, but sometimes cumbersome, Citizen Cope is maybe a little too challenging for its own good, often relying on tricky means to win over listeners rather than relying on pure talent.

Still, such is the means many bands rely on now. It’s not enough to be musically gifted anymore; you have to be cunning, sharp, edgy and sexy. Every Waking Moment is a lot of things, many of them positive, but it is not everything, and sometimes it feels like it’s trying to be.

The major problem with Every Waking Moment is that it rarely grabs you the way it should. The music is too concerned with having all these career-defining musical characteristics that it each song becomes tangled in its own ambition. If effort was enough, Every Waking Moment would be a miracle. Regrettably for Greenwood, effort does not a masterpiece make.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...