Sports Briefs

Women’s Volleyball
University of Miami defeated NC State 3-1 (27-30, 30-18, 30-19, 30-16) on Oct. 6 to improve to 6-9 overall and 3-3 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Setter Jill Robinson led all Hurricanes with 39 assists and 12 digs, her seventh double-double on the season and sixth consecutive. Senior Sara Duncan led all players with a match-high 14 kills.

NC State took an early 8-4 advantage in game two after winning game one. Miami answered back with three straight kills by Ciara Michel, Frannie Savage, and Jill Robinson. UM kept the game close until the ‘Canes scored seven straight points to obtain the lead 22-15, an edge they would not relinquish.
The Hurricanes then jumped out to a 15-8 lead in game three and continued to a four game victory.

Football
Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins could apply for a medical redshirt after a PCL injury in his right knee, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Jenkins has been working out with the team, but it is unclear whether he will return this season.

Women’s Tennis
Top-ranked Audra Cohen lost to No. 19 Melanie Gloria of Fresno State (6-3, 6-2) in the semifinal singles of the main draw in the 2006 Riviera/ITA All-American Championships. Gloria will face No. 12 Suzi Babos of California in the championship match.

No. 7 Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu beat Oregon’s doubles team (8-2) in a consolation match. Cohen and Vallverdu advanced to the championship match against No.8 Kim Coventry and Carolina Escamilla from the University of Kentucky.

Men’s Tennis
No. 3 ranked Luigi D’Agord had to withdraw from the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championships after suffering an ankle injury. D’Agord played only one point in his quarterfinal match against Charlotte’s Roy Sichel before hurting his ankle.

D’Agord’s injury forced him to withdraw from doubles competition with teammate Daniel Vallverdu as well.

Men’s Cross Country
University of Miami moved up to the 12th spot in this week’s United States Track and Field Cross Country Association South Regional rankings. The latest rankings follow a sixth place finish by the Hurricanes in the Auburn Invitational. Alabama leads the latest South Regional rankings. Fellow ACC member Florida State came in third.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...