Play hard to get…but not impossible to catch

Is it worthwhile to play “hard to get” from a girl’s perspective? I am nervous to try this flirting/dating technique because I’ve never done it before. What is the best way to do it?

Gold.

Dear Reader,

As I’ve been able to ascertain from your signature, I think that you at least know what it means to play “hard to get,” which is certainly half the battle of playing.

In regards to your first question: yes, I absolutely think that it is worthwhile for a girl to play hard to get, however, there is a fine line between playing hard to get and being perceived as uninterested, or worse, as an ice queen. Though this may sound like I’m visiting you from 1950, men do not like women who make themselves too available because they are driven to win; they like a challenge, and the greater the challenge, the more precious the prize.

Before you begin to write your refutation letters to me, think about the principle of scarcity – anything of a limited availability will be assumed to be far more valuable and have a far greater worth than something you can pick up at any old corner. This being said, you can see why it would make sense to play hard to get.

Furthermore, I think that treating all your suitors with a little distance will help you differentiate between those who want you and those who just want to do you.

As for the best strategies to pursue, I don’t think that there is one way to play hard to get that is better than any other. Perhaps, if you’ve spent two nights in a row hanging out with a new date, it might be a good idea to turn down the next night’s date – let’s remember, you have your own wonderful life to maintain. Don’t forget, though, that playing hard to get does not mean that you get to be nasty to a poor boy as (God forbid!) he might mistake your playful apathy for downright disinterest.

Best of Luck!
V.

Fact O’ the Day.According to the results of a Brazilian study, men who consume coffee have speedier swimmers (i.e. sperm with a greater motility) than men who refrain from coffee drinking.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...