Letter to the Editor

Let me preface this opinion by saying that my political affiliation is libertarian. I am a realist, however, and since they have absolutely no chance of winning, I planned to vote Republican as I have done before. Last weekend, however, and specifically the actions of Bill Frist, has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I feel no shame in saying there is no possible way I will vote for them. In a Friday night/Saturday morning session, while many of us were out or possibly asleep, Senator Frist succeeded in piggy-backing an online gambling ban onto the much needed Port Security bill through back-room tactics. Of course, this ban probably would not have stood on its own merits.

The law itself does not make online poker illegal, per say, but it puts the entire bulk of the load onto the banking industry by forcing them to stop all transactions that might be gambling related. Even if this regulation was possible, is it necessary?

Studies have shown that a properly regulated Internet gambling market could bring in federal and state taxes upwards of $3 billion; can our government afford to turn its back on that type of money? Just to clarify-we can’t armor the troops’ Hummers, but we can include online gaming as a “national defense” interest? These are questions that should have been considered before the Republicans took away one of our personal freedoms and shot themselves in the foot for the upcoming elections. Evidently the Democrats were right about something.

The most pressing question is how this bill will affect the casual online player, and the ripple impact on the market as a whole. But don’t get me wrong, I have a tremendous amount of faith in the international business community to outsmart this bill-after all, when we’re ranking the collective intelligence of different groups, the U.S. Congress is just ahead of lobotomy patients, and just behind slightly retarded monkeys.

Lucas Hand
UMiami MBA ’08

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...