Album full of refreshing European grace

Mew first caused shockwaves with debut album Frengers in their native Denmark and most of Europe. The band has a refreshing, quirky outlook on music and they continue to gain momentum stateside with their new album And the Glass Handed Kites.

As the single “Zookeeper’s Boy” proves, there’s nothing at all glamorous about this music as it evokes images of forest-sprites and hobgoblins. Although the lyrics mention ostriches and giraffes, the interpretations here are not meant to be literal. What makes ‘Zookeeper’s Boy’ stand apart from these other acts is its quick-fix harmony that will send you into a dreamlike state instantaneously.

Critics have referred to their music as post-rock and Euro-pop which are both misplaced observations, as the two styles are worlds apart from the staggering melodies that the band lace around Jonas Bjerre’s falsetto.

Mew possesses a transcendental grace that cannot be forged or practiced and such elegance is as pure as stardust. The feeling here is dazed, but never confused: think night gazing at fireworks spelling the bands name in bright lights in the sky.

Marcus Walsh can be contacted at m.walsh6@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...