The Voice of V

V, The Hurricane’s own relationship and life expert, opens up to The Hurricane, and her readers in this exclusive interview.

How did you start the column?
I used to be an opinion columnist for The Hurricane, but I suggested a regular column called “Dear V” to the Editor-in-Chief at the time, and she thought it was a great idea. I wrote a proposition; a sample question, and started getting questions right away.

How can you determine which letters are fake?
I can’t determine which ones are fake, and it’s honestly something I can’t worry about, because it’s an advice column, and you’d like to think that part of it is there for entertainment purposes – you don’t consult a glamour magazine for hardcore news.

Which were the most outrageous letters?
For the most part, it’s mediocre “boy trouble this, girl trouble that” stuff. Although I’ve had to tone a lot of them down before because they were too graphic for the Editor-in-Chief at the time. I do get a lot of questions about masturbation, and the first semester I did the column, I got a few about sex toys.
I did get one about this guy who was obsessed with anime. He was saying how he wanted his girlfriend to dress up like a character, and she was not having that.

There are also a lot of relationship problems that people our age encounter. Nothing is ever really that insane; it’s a little shocking, but never abnormal-but then again, I’m a very open, tolerant person.

Once you’re done, how will you choose a successor?
I’ve actually had a lot of people approach me, people who know my real identity, about taking the column on, and I think one of these days I will appoint some kind of prot

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...