The Voice of V

V, The Hurricane’s own relationship and life expert, opens up to The Hurricane, and her readers in this exclusive interview.

How did you start the column?
I used to be an opinion columnist for The Hurricane, but I suggested a regular column called “Dear V” to the Editor-in-Chief at the time, and she thought it was a great idea. I wrote a proposition; a sample question, and started getting questions right away.

How can you determine which letters are fake?
I can’t determine which ones are fake, and it’s honestly something I can’t worry about, because it’s an advice column, and you’d like to think that part of it is there for entertainment purposes – you don’t consult a glamour magazine for hardcore news.

Which were the most outrageous letters?
For the most part, it’s mediocre “boy trouble this, girl trouble that” stuff. Although I’ve had to tone a lot of them down before because they were too graphic for the Editor-in-Chief at the time. I do get a lot of questions about masturbation, and the first semester I did the column, I got a few about sex toys.
I did get one about this guy who was obsessed with anime. He was saying how he wanted his girlfriend to dress up like a character, and she was not having that.

There are also a lot of relationship problems that people our age encounter. Nothing is ever really that insane; it’s a little shocking, but never abnormal-but then again, I’m a very open, tolerant person.

Once you’re done, how will you choose a successor?
I’ve actually had a lot of people approach me, people who know my real identity, about taking the column on, and I think one of these days I will appoint some kind of prot

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...