Letter to the editor

The first rule of war is to know the enemy. Decades after Vietnam, when U.S. and Vietnamese officials sat down to talk over what might have been, former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara got into an argument with former Viet Cong General Giap. We fought the war thinking that once the Vietnamese fell to communism, they would join hands with the Chinese and attack U.S. interests across the globe. We saw communism as a monolithic front against democracy. Giap asked McNamara how a country so rich could not afford history books, because Vietnam had struggled against China for 1000 years for independence and would fight to the last man rather than be China’s puppet. Far from becoming a menacing danger, Vietnam has not threatened or killed a single American since the war ended. We did not know the enemy, and it cost us 58,226 soldiers and killed millions of innocent civilians.

The Bush administration constantly tries to impress on us that terrorism is a monolithic front. All we hear from them is the vague idea that terrorists are out to get us. If you talk of terrorists as acting in a single group, then it impresses the idea that terrorists are all united. For instance, “they hate us because they hate our freedom.” This is the subtle way Bush fooled the American public into believing that Saddam Hussein could join hands with al-Qaida. To this day, Bush does not care to draw distinctions between different terrorist groups, so we cannot even tell who or what we are now fighting.

Liberals are not the cause of failure in Iraq just as they were not during Vietnam. We fail because the administration has no clear grasp of the situation, even muddles it to cover what they are perpetrating, and somehow there are people in this country still na’ve enough to take politicians at their word.

Sincerely,

Dan Ohrenstein

UMiami ’08

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...