Letter to the editor

The first rule of war is to know the enemy. Decades after Vietnam, when U.S. and Vietnamese officials sat down to talk over what might have been, former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara got into an argument with former Viet Cong General Giap. We fought the war thinking that once the Vietnamese fell to communism, they would join hands with the Chinese and attack U.S. interests across the globe. We saw communism as a monolithic front against democracy. Giap asked McNamara how a country so rich could not afford history books, because Vietnam had struggled against China for 1000 years for independence and would fight to the last man rather than be China’s puppet. Far from becoming a menacing danger, Vietnam has not threatened or killed a single American since the war ended. We did not know the enemy, and it cost us 58,226 soldiers and killed millions of innocent civilians.

The Bush administration constantly tries to impress on us that terrorism is a monolithic front. All we hear from them is the vague idea that terrorists are out to get us. If you talk of terrorists as acting in a single group, then it impresses the idea that terrorists are all united. For instance, “they hate us because they hate our freedom.” This is the subtle way Bush fooled the American public into believing that Saddam Hussein could join hands with al-Qaida. To this day, Bush does not care to draw distinctions between different terrorist groups, so we cannot even tell who or what we are now fighting.

Liberals are not the cause of failure in Iraq just as they were not during Vietnam. We fail because the administration has no clear grasp of the situation, even muddles it to cover what they are perpetrating, and somehow there are people in this country still na’ve enough to take politicians at their word.

Sincerely,

Dan Ohrenstein

UMiami ’08

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...