From webcasts to album deals

Beginning at age 14, Scottish singer Sandi Thom began to project her rich voice and impress audience’s generations older than she.

Now, 10 years later at 24 years old, Thom finally released her debut album Smile.It Confuses People.

Taking a different path to finding fame, Thom has already made a name for herself not through the usual country-wide touring trek but rather by singing on the web for free. Over the course of two weeks Thom’s web audience grew from 70 to 70,000 listeners.

According to her publicist, UK RCA Records refers to her as “the first webcast signing in major record label history.”

The deepness to her voice relates to Kelly Clarkson, but with a less “pop” aura to the songs and with the album’s folksy and opposing rock sounds, it proves very versatile and can help someone relax after a hard day of classes or even rock out while at the gym.

Tracks like “I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker” entice listeners with its stomping sound and enlightening lyrics, while “Lonely Girl” evokes a mellower sound.

Unlike many albums recently released with their meaningless melodies, Thom writes her own lyrics.

While her adventure to this point has been remarkable, the album falls short in completeness.

Thom’s voice gives each song that little something to make them good, but does not push them far enough to make them all great.

Diana Rubin can be contacted at d.rubin5@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...