From webcasts to album deals

Beginning at age 14, Scottish singer Sandi Thom began to project her rich voice and impress audience’s generations older than she.

Now, 10 years later at 24 years old, Thom finally released her debut album Smile.It Confuses People.

Taking a different path to finding fame, Thom has already made a name for herself not through the usual country-wide touring trek but rather by singing on the web for free. Over the course of two weeks Thom’s web audience grew from 70 to 70,000 listeners.

According to her publicist, UK RCA Records refers to her as “the first webcast signing in major record label history.”

The deepness to her voice relates to Kelly Clarkson, but with a less “pop” aura to the songs and with the album’s folksy and opposing rock sounds, it proves very versatile and can help someone relax after a hard day of classes or even rock out while at the gym.

Tracks like “I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker” entice listeners with its stomping sound and enlightening lyrics, while “Lonely Girl” evokes a mellower sound.

Unlike many albums recently released with their meaningless melodies, Thom writes her own lyrics.

While her adventure to this point has been remarkable, the album falls short in completeness.

Thom’s voice gives each song that little something to make them good, but does not push them far enough to make them all great.

Diana Rubin can be contacted at d.rubin5@umiami.edu.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...