‘Canes try to jump to highest ACC tier

The University of Miami volleyball team, which currently stands 5-9 overall and 2-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, is heading into this weekend with games against both North Carolina State (2-12, 0-5) and the University of North Carolina (3-11, 1-4). If Miami is able to sweep the two games, they can jump above .500 in ACC play and join the upper tier of the conference.

Miami has had two losing streaks of three games and have not won back-to-back games all season. The ‘Canes started 0-2 in conference play after a losses to Florida State and against Boston College.

Two days after the Boston College loss, Miami swept Maryland 3-0. In the same weekend, the Hurricanes faced Clemson, but were unable to come away with a win, falling 1-3.

It took the ‘Canes four games to defeat Georgia Tech and improve their record to 2-3 in the ACC.

“I think that the Georgia Tech match was arguably our best of the season,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “So the wins [against Maryland and Georgia Tech]were encouraging, but it also tells us the level we have to play every match.”

Improvements have been made throughout the season by the coaching staff to adjust to the high level of play. Most recently, the coaching staff has worked on improving the defensive effort of every player.

Lantagne Welch will not allow her players to take this weekend lightly, despite the fact that NC State hasn’t secured a win and UNC only has one win in the ACC this season.

“NC State took a game off us last year,” Lantagne Welch said. “If you underestimate anyone in this conference, you’re going to go home losing. You have to bring your best every night.”

The senior leadership of the team is vital to a team with eight underclassmen. The experiences of being in these ACC battles are important in keeping an edge during each match.

“We are not underestimating any team this year,” Sara Duncan, outside hitter, said. “I feel like anyone can beat anyone on any given day. We just have to stay focused, be determined, and have our minds on what we want to achieve.”

Since joining the ACC two years ago, Miami holds a 7-1 record against NC State and UNC.

The importance to a big weekend will be to get off to a quick start. The Hurricanes are trying to accomplish this by putting together a strong week of practice.

“We’re just trying to play our game,” Frannie Savage, outside hitter, said. “Play every drill, every ball to the highest capacity. Don’t overlook anything; just try to play every ball like it’s the last one.”

Miami will host NC State today at 8 p.m. and UNC on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games will be played at the Knight Sports Complex.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...