‘Canes try to jump to highest ACC tier

The University of Miami volleyball team, which currently stands 5-9 overall and 2-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, is heading into this weekend with games against both North Carolina State (2-12, 0-5) and the University of North Carolina (3-11, 1-4). If Miami is able to sweep the two games, they can jump above .500 in ACC play and join the upper tier of the conference.

Miami has had two losing streaks of three games and have not won back-to-back games all season. The ‘Canes started 0-2 in conference play after a losses to Florida State and against Boston College.

Two days after the Boston College loss, Miami swept Maryland 3-0. In the same weekend, the Hurricanes faced Clemson, but were unable to come away with a win, falling 1-3.

It took the ‘Canes four games to defeat Georgia Tech and improve their record to 2-3 in the ACC.

“I think that the Georgia Tech match was arguably our best of the season,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “So the wins [against Maryland and Georgia Tech]were encouraging, but it also tells us the level we have to play every match.”

Improvements have been made throughout the season by the coaching staff to adjust to the high level of play. Most recently, the coaching staff has worked on improving the defensive effort of every player.

Lantagne Welch will not allow her players to take this weekend lightly, despite the fact that NC State hasn’t secured a win and UNC only has one win in the ACC this season.

“NC State took a game off us last year,” Lantagne Welch said. “If you underestimate anyone in this conference, you’re going to go home losing. You have to bring your best every night.”

The senior leadership of the team is vital to a team with eight underclassmen. The experiences of being in these ACC battles are important in keeping an edge during each match.

“We are not underestimating any team this year,” Sara Duncan, outside hitter, said. “I feel like anyone can beat anyone on any given day. We just have to stay focused, be determined, and have our minds on what we want to achieve.”

Since joining the ACC two years ago, Miami holds a 7-1 record against NC State and UNC.

The importance to a big weekend will be to get off to a quick start. The Hurricanes are trying to accomplish this by putting together a strong week of practice.

“We’re just trying to play our game,” Frannie Savage, outside hitter, said. “Play every drill, every ball to the highest capacity. Don’t overlook anything; just try to play every ball like it’s the last one.”

Miami will host NC State today at 8 p.m. and UNC on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games will be played at the Knight Sports Complex.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...