Volleyball splits weekend among ACC opponents

Miami Volleyball, coming off a big victory last Sunday against a formidable opponent in Maryland, split their weekend road schedule, falling to Clemson 1-3, then coming back and defeating Georgia Tech 3-1.

The ‘Canes left Coral Gables and arrived at Jervey Gymnasium Friday evening to take on the Clemson Tigers. Miami took the first game of their match against the Tigers 40-38, which marks the most points the ‘Canes have scored in a single game all season.

Game two was quite a struggle for the ‘Canes, who allowed the Tigers to take large leads, which proved insurmountable. The story seemed to repeat itself in games three and four, with Clemson taking the match.

Senior setter Jill Robinson led the ‘Canes with a season-high 57 assists and also contributed 14 digs, giving Robinson her fifth double-double this year. Junior middle blocker Ciara Michel also had a career high 22 kills.

Seeking to avenge the loss, the ‘Canes traveled south and took on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in O’Keefe Gymnasium on Saturday night.

Game one was much of the same for the ‘Canes, falling behind 17-8 at one point and allowing the Yellow Jackets to take the early lead, 1-0. However, the ‘Canes were determined not to face the same fate, and did so in resounding fashion.

In game two, Georgia Tech never had the lead and managed a tie at 3-3. Miami then won eight straight points and never looked back, winning 30-21.

Games three and four were much more competitive, but Georgia Tech could muster no serious challenge, and the Hurricanes left Atlanta with an important victory, 3-1.

“I feel pretty good right now, we displayed a great match to beat Georgia Tech,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne-Welch said. “All the things that we had struggled [with]on the night before we corrected, and that was our strength today. We were outstanding in our passing and defense, and that helped us to victory.”

Michel led the team in kills Saturday night with 18, with Robinson contributing 55 assists. Defensive specialists Casilia Loessberg and Ann Gallo provided 16 and 15 digs respectively.

“Michel’s just putting the ball away, and definitely finding ways to score,” Lantagne Welch said. “And our defensive crew of Casilia Loessberg, Ann Gallo and Michelle Bruin made the biggest changes in the best direction.”

The ‘Canes will now look to the upcoming weekend, where they will return to the Knight Sports Complex to face N.C. State on Friday and North Carolina on Sunday. N.C.

State stands 2-11 for the season and 0-5 in the ACC. North Carolina is currently 3-11 overall and 1-4 in conference play.

When asked what the ‘Canes needed for their upcoming weekend matches, Lantagne-Welch knew exactly what her team needed to focus on.

“Consistency will be out biggest issue,” she said. “I hope that we can just steady out and play solid back to back matches. That will be huge for us, this coming weekend at home.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...