Volleyball splits weekend among ACC opponents

Miami Volleyball, coming off a big victory last Sunday against a formidable opponent in Maryland, split their weekend road schedule, falling to Clemson 1-3, then coming back and defeating Georgia Tech 3-1.

The ‘Canes left Coral Gables and arrived at Jervey Gymnasium Friday evening to take on the Clemson Tigers. Miami took the first game of their match against the Tigers 40-38, which marks the most points the ‘Canes have scored in a single game all season.

Game two was quite a struggle for the ‘Canes, who allowed the Tigers to take large leads, which proved insurmountable. The story seemed to repeat itself in games three and four, with Clemson taking the match.

Senior setter Jill Robinson led the ‘Canes with a season-high 57 assists and also contributed 14 digs, giving Robinson her fifth double-double this year. Junior middle blocker Ciara Michel also had a career high 22 kills.

Seeking to avenge the loss, the ‘Canes traveled south and took on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in O’Keefe Gymnasium on Saturday night.

Game one was much of the same for the ‘Canes, falling behind 17-8 at one point and allowing the Yellow Jackets to take the early lead, 1-0. However, the ‘Canes were determined not to face the same fate, and did so in resounding fashion.

In game two, Georgia Tech never had the lead and managed a tie at 3-3. Miami then won eight straight points and never looked back, winning 30-21.

Games three and four were much more competitive, but Georgia Tech could muster no serious challenge, and the Hurricanes left Atlanta with an important victory, 3-1.

“I feel pretty good right now, we displayed a great match to beat Georgia Tech,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne-Welch said. “All the things that we had struggled [with]on the night before we corrected, and that was our strength today. We were outstanding in our passing and defense, and that helped us to victory.”

Michel led the team in kills Saturday night with 18, with Robinson contributing 55 assists. Defensive specialists Casilia Loessberg and Ann Gallo provided 16 and 15 digs respectively.

“Michel’s just putting the ball away, and definitely finding ways to score,” Lantagne Welch said. “And our defensive crew of Casilia Loessberg, Ann Gallo and Michelle Bruin made the biggest changes in the best direction.”

The ‘Canes will now look to the upcoming weekend, where they will return to the Knight Sports Complex to face N.C. State on Friday and North Carolina on Sunday. N.C.

State stands 2-11 for the season and 0-5 in the ACC. North Carolina is currently 3-11 overall and 1-4 in conference play.

When asked what the ‘Canes needed for their upcoming weekend matches, Lantagne-Welch knew exactly what her team needed to focus on.

“Consistency will be out biggest issue,” she said. “I hope that we can just steady out and play solid back to back matches. That will be huge for us, this coming weekend at home.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...