Sports Briefs

Men’s Cross Country

The University of Miami finished sixth at the Auburn University Invitational at Indian Pines Golf Course in Auburn, Ala. The Hurricanes were led by senior Jon Scheiner’s 23rd place finish.

Scheiner finished with a career best time of 24:57.77 over the eight-kilometer course and was the leading Miami runner for the second consecutive race. Sophomore Andrew Chulpis and Zach Castiglione both finished in the top 50 as well.

Miami finished in sixth place out of 21 teams with 212 points.

Women’s Cross Country

Junior DeeDee Phlatts finished 52nd at the Auburn University Invitational and led the University of Miami to a 15th place finish overall. Phlatts continued her three meet streak as the Hurricanes top finisher. Iowa won the team title with 15 points. Iowa junior Diane Nukuri won the individual title, finishing in 16:10.12.

Miami ended with 488 points, placing 15th out of 24 teams.

Football

Wide Receiver Ryan Moore, who was suspended indefinitely after taking part in an on-campus altercation back in late August, still remains a question mark on the Hurricane roster. His case was handed over to the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office in order to determine whether the state will file charges.

Moore was never arrested for his involvement in the events that took place outside of the Rathskeller.

Women’s Tennis

Three members of the University of Miami women’s tennis team are competing in the 2006 Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

Freshman Laura Vallverdu advanced to the third round of pre-qualifying singles after two victories on Saturday, including one against Duke University’s Amanda Granson 6-3, 6-0. Romy Farah was not as lucky, losing in the first round of pre-qualifying 7-5, 6-4.

Audrey Banada and Farah advanced to the third round of pre-qualifying doubles and will face Caitlin Collins and Sanaz Marand of North Carolina. Banada begins her singles play on Tuesday, Oct. 3 in the singles qualifying draw.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...