Sports Briefs

Men’s Cross Country

The University of Miami finished sixth at the Auburn University Invitational at Indian Pines Golf Course in Auburn, Ala. The Hurricanes were led by senior Jon Scheiner’s 23rd place finish.

Scheiner finished with a career best time of 24:57.77 over the eight-kilometer course and was the leading Miami runner for the second consecutive race. Sophomore Andrew Chulpis and Zach Castiglione both finished in the top 50 as well.

Miami finished in sixth place out of 21 teams with 212 points.

Women’s Cross Country

Junior DeeDee Phlatts finished 52nd at the Auburn University Invitational and led the University of Miami to a 15th place finish overall. Phlatts continued her three meet streak as the Hurricanes top finisher. Iowa won the team title with 15 points. Iowa junior Diane Nukuri won the individual title, finishing in 16:10.12.

Miami ended with 488 points, placing 15th out of 24 teams.

Football

Wide Receiver Ryan Moore, who was suspended indefinitely after taking part in an on-campus altercation back in late August, still remains a question mark on the Hurricane roster. His case was handed over to the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office in order to determine whether the state will file charges.

Moore was never arrested for his involvement in the events that took place outside of the Rathskeller.

Women’s Tennis

Three members of the University of Miami women’s tennis team are competing in the 2006 Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

Freshman Laura Vallverdu advanced to the third round of pre-qualifying singles after two victories on Saturday, including one against Duke University’s Amanda Granson 6-3, 6-0. Romy Farah was not as lucky, losing in the first round of pre-qualifying 7-5, 6-4.

Audrey Banada and Farah advanced to the third round of pre-qualifying doubles and will face Caitlin Collins and Sanaz Marand of North Carolina. Banada begins her singles play on Tuesday, Oct. 3 in the singles qualifying draw.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.