FOOTBALL REPORT CARD

Quarterbacks: B-
Taking into consideration that a portion of Kyle Wright’s problems are a direct result of the O-Line, he still had two interceptions against a mediocre team. Houston was only able to score in the first half off of those interceptions. He went 16 for 27 with 190 yards, securing one touchdown.

Running Backs: A
All hail Javarris James! He had 148 of the team’s 230 net yards, one touchdown and set a freshman career record at Miami. James was replaced by Charlie Jones after a fumble that was decided as an incomplete pass, which resulted in a minor injury for James. Without James, this team would’ve been nursing another loss.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: C
Greg Olsen must’ve had something really greasy for dinner before getting on the field. He had two catches for a total of 11 yards. And, he dropped two. Lance Leggett secured 72 yards, the most of any receiver.

Bottom line: Miami has to get a passing game where the receivers can get open.

Offensive Line: C-
The O-Line had a better game, but still no match for some of the upcoming teams. Wright had more time in the pocket, but receivers and backs had a tougher time getting open because they were forced to block. The O-Line has to make openings for the running backs and give the passing game other options besides short, slanted throws.

Defensive Line: B+
The D-Line looked pretty solid, although they let Houston gain yardage that should’ve been stopped. Kenny Phillips led with seven tackles and four assists. Lovon Ponder and Brandon Meriweather made some important defensive plays. Bryan Pata sacked Houston’s Kevin Kolb for nine yards.

Linebackers: B-
The linebackers made most of their plays, but they could stand to improve before Miami faces tougher opponents.

Secondary: C+
The secondary gave up a couple of big plays to Houston, which shouldn’t happen after two weeks off between games.

Special Teams: C-
Brian Monroe’s first punt was out of bounds, giving Houston a starting advantage at the 35-yard line. Jon Peattie continues to miss field goals. Even if it was just by a few inches, three points would’ve really helped.

Coaching: C
Going for it on fourth down in the final minutes of the game was a good decision for a staff of coaches that hasn’t been making the best decisions. However, scoring 14 points and winning by one isn’t typical at Miami.

Other Factors:
The Hurricanes played Houston in the Orange Bowl at night. The win should’ve been by more than a point. The game was riddled with penalty flags, which is unacceptable. This team cannot give up yards and downs because of technical mistakes.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...