FOOTBALL REPORT CARD

Quarterbacks: B-
Taking into consideration that a portion of Kyle Wright’s problems are a direct result of the O-Line, he still had two interceptions against a mediocre team. Houston was only able to score in the first half off of those interceptions. He went 16 for 27 with 190 yards, securing one touchdown.

Running Backs: A
All hail Javarris James! He had 148 of the team’s 230 net yards, one touchdown and set a freshman career record at Miami. James was replaced by Charlie Jones after a fumble that was decided as an incomplete pass, which resulted in a minor injury for James. Without James, this team would’ve been nursing another loss.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: C
Greg Olsen must’ve had something really greasy for dinner before getting on the field. He had two catches for a total of 11 yards. And, he dropped two. Lance Leggett secured 72 yards, the most of any receiver.

Bottom line: Miami has to get a passing game where the receivers can get open.

Offensive Line: C-
The O-Line had a better game, but still no match for some of the upcoming teams. Wright had more time in the pocket, but receivers and backs had a tougher time getting open because they were forced to block. The O-Line has to make openings for the running backs and give the passing game other options besides short, slanted throws.

Defensive Line: B+
The D-Line looked pretty solid, although they let Houston gain yardage that should’ve been stopped. Kenny Phillips led with seven tackles and four assists. Lovon Ponder and Brandon Meriweather made some important defensive plays. Bryan Pata sacked Houston’s Kevin Kolb for nine yards.

Linebackers: B-
The linebackers made most of their plays, but they could stand to improve before Miami faces tougher opponents.

Secondary: C+
The secondary gave up a couple of big plays to Houston, which shouldn’t happen after two weeks off between games.

Special Teams: C-
Brian Monroe’s first punt was out of bounds, giving Houston a starting advantage at the 35-yard line. Jon Peattie continues to miss field goals. Even if it was just by a few inches, three points would’ve really helped.

Coaching: C
Going for it on fourth down in the final minutes of the game was a good decision for a staff of coaches that hasn’t been making the best decisions. However, scoring 14 points and winning by one isn’t typical at Miami.

Other Factors:
The Hurricanes played Houston in the Orange Bowl at night. The win should’ve been by more than a point. The game was riddled with penalty flags, which is unacceptable. This team cannot give up yards and downs because of technical mistakes.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...