Can a long distance relationship work?

I met this guy through a friend. We totally and completely hit it off. I have never felt so in sync with anyone before. We exchanged numbers and have been having really great and really long telephone conversations ever since. There is one problem. He doesn’t live here. He goes to school out of state. We’ve talked about turning our connection into a relationship, but I don’t know if I can do a long distance relationship. He is all for a relationship, but I’m afraid of committing myself to someone who lives so far away because of the distance. My friends all think that I shouldn’t get myself involved with someone who lives across the country, but still, I don’t know if I might be missing out on something if I don’t take him up on the offer.

So Far Away

Dear Reader,

I understand that your options, like all of those attached to personal dilemmas, have both pros and cons that can somehow manage to muddle your understanding of what you really want.

On one hand, if you decide to commit to a long distance relationship with this guy you might be missing out on other, near by, romantic opportunities. On the other hand, if you decide to not embrace a full-fledged relationship with this guy, you might be missing out on something really big; you said that you have never felt such a strong connection with anyone before in your life, and I’m trusting that you know yourself well. I also happen to be a big believer in fate, however, and I am all for taking a risk, so really, why not? Believe me, I know what slim pickings we’ve got down here.

Do you think that it might be possible to meet him somewhere in the middle through some sort of complicated arrangement? Perhaps you could attempt the dreaded “open relationship,” if you believe in that kind of thing. From what I can grasp, in an open relationship, one has the option of dating around, but at the end of the day, he or she is still committed to that one special someone.

Hey, lots of people have managed to make it work for them, and I’m pretty sure there are several variations of the open relationship from which to choose. Of course, you two could also agree to put your connection on the back burner for now, and wait and come back to it at a later date or better locale if that feels more right to you. These things usually manage to work themselves out.

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day.Strangely enough, a woman is more than likely to select shorter dresses and wear higher heels when she is ovulating than at any other point of the menstrual cycle.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...