Sun rises for Schlamme, Sorkin

Television has been on a downward slope for years now, and that’s exactly what Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is about. It’s rare that a show does in reality what its story is about, but from the looks of it, Studio 60 will be the life vest of primetime television.

It starts off like the classic film “Network.” Angry television producer goes overboard when a racy sketch is cut from his SNL-like comedy show, so, he has a heart-to-heart and of course, his on-the-air, insult-ridden spiel gets him fired and puts the show into crises mode. What should they do?

To reveal anything more would ruin some of the surprises but the one important thing to note is the show is what it’s about; it’s about how bad television sucks, and what they plan to do about it.

No one may know more about this than writer Aaron Sorkin. The writer of the critically acclaimed The West Wing, a once great show that slowly turned ridiculous and laughable before it’s final end, is maybe all too familiar with how easy it is to fall into a pit of mediocrity. But, with Studio 60, Sorkin has his saving grace.

His signature dialogue, is often spot-on, clever and insightful. His characters, while it’s still too early in the show to tell, seem interesting and fully fleshed-out.

Mathew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford and Steven Weber are all impressive actors in their own right, and even more impressive with such exceptional writing at their fingertips. Yes, Studio 60 is exactly what it looks like. the best new show on television.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...