Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Freshman J.C. Whitner gained a birth into one of the two consolation draws last Sunday and compiled a 3-2 record at the HEB Intercollegiate tennis tournament.

The tournament consisted of two 64 player single draws and two 32 team doubles draws. Whitner lost in the second round to New Mexico State’s Gustave Drep (6-3, 6-0) after receiving a bye to get through the first round.

Whitner rebounded in the consolation bracket and beat Rice’s Filip Zivojinovic (7-5, 6-2) in the round of 16. Whitner moved on and beat Texas-San Antonio’s Nate Avila in the quarterfinals.

In the semifinals, Whitner beat New Mexico State’s Jeff Pfeifer, which led to a loss in the final round against Rice’s Dennis Polyakov.

Hurricane teammate Hector Nieto picked up a win in his opening round match against Lamar’s Emmanuel Oliver. Neito lost in round 32 to Texas-Arlington’s Alberto Agis (6-3, 6-3).

The two teammates, Whitner and Neito teamed up in doubles and reached the quarterfinals before the pair was eliminated by Rice’s Polyakov and Jon Greenberg (8-5).

Football

Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins did not practice as of Tuesday and is listed by Head Coach Larry Coker as doubtful for the game this Saturday against Houston at 6 p.m. Coker believes that Jenkins should be ready to play by the North Carolina game on Oct.7th.

With Jenkins out, Coker said that the junior Lance Leggett and freshman Sam Shields would start at wide receiver. Freshman Ryan Hill will move into the third receiver slot and Terrell Walden will become the fourth receiver with sophomore Khalil Jones mixed in.

Left tackle Reggie Youngblood is back and practicing. Coker would not go as far as to say that Youngblood would start against Houston, but he may see some time in the game. Despite Youngblood’s return, freshman Jason Fox will remain a starter at one of the tackle positions.

Offensive guard Andrew Bain returned to practice on Tuesday after a knee injury kept him out of practice last week.

Tight end Chris Zellner will not return in time for the Houston game and is still questionable for the North Carolina game. Freshman Dedrick Epps has been able to work more with the first team offense as a result.

Football Recruiting

Defensive tackle Chris Perry from Fossil Ridge in Keller, Texas will be visiting other universities despite his commitment to the University of Miami. Perry made a nonbinding commitment in June 2006.

Perry plans to visit three other teams including Nebraska, Oklahoma and Florida.

Perry is officially listed as a soft verbal commit to Miami.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and Rivals.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...