Police Beat

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:

Public Safety reminds you to utilize all the free services offered: free security escorts, free bicycle locks, free engraving, free safety presentations and free safety information. These free services not only help you to stay safe, but they help to secure your property as well.

SECURITY ESCORTS: There is no reason for any student to walk alone if he or she is uncomfortable doing so. Free security escorts are offered 24 hours a day. Just call Public Safety dispatch at 8-6666 to request an escort; within minutes a police officer or security guard will respond and walk with you.

ENGRAVING: Permanently marking valuable property (such as laptops, iPods, golf clubs, and cell phones) with your name and drivers license number not only discourages theft, but it makes it easier to track the property if it is ever stolen. Public Safety offers two engraving options, each are free of charge. Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105 to discuss engraving options and to set up an appointment.

For further information on any of these services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 19
4:58 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
Hit and Run Accident

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 20
5:52 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon
Blvd. Stolen Vehicle

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22
12:50 a.m. 1230 Dickinson Dr.
Assault/Battery
3:39 a.m. 1300 Stanford Dr.
Intoxicated Person
7:20 a.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
UM Security Alarm
1:09 p.m. 1201 Memorial Dr.
Larceny

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23
3:18 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Intoxicated Person
6:05 p.m. 1244 Stanford Dr.
Criminal Mischief

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 5
10:37 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr. Theft

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...