Police Beat

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:

Public Safety reminds you to utilize all the free services offered: free security escorts, free bicycle locks, free engraving, free safety presentations and free safety information. These free services not only help you to stay safe, but they help to secure your property as well.

SECURITY ESCORTS: There is no reason for any student to walk alone if he or she is uncomfortable doing so. Free security escorts are offered 24 hours a day. Just call Public Safety dispatch at 8-6666 to request an escort; within minutes a police officer or security guard will respond and walk with you.

ENGRAVING: Permanently marking valuable property (such as laptops, iPods, golf clubs, and cell phones) with your name and drivers license number not only discourages theft, but it makes it easier to track the property if it is ever stolen. Public Safety offers two engraving options, each are free of charge. Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105 to discuss engraving options and to set up an appointment.

For further information on any of these services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 19
4:58 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
Hit and Run Accident

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 20
5:52 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon
Blvd. Stolen Vehicle

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22
12:50 a.m. 1230 Dickinson Dr.
Assault/Battery
3:39 a.m. 1300 Stanford Dr.
Intoxicated Person
7:20 a.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
UM Security Alarm
1:09 p.m. 1201 Memorial Dr.
Larceny

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23
3:18 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Intoxicated Person
6:05 p.m. 1244 Stanford Dr.
Criminal Mischief

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 5
10:37 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr. Theft

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...