Police Beat

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:

Public Safety reminds you to utilize all the free services offered: free security escorts, free bicycle locks, free engraving, free safety presentations and free safety information. These free services not only help you to stay safe, but they help to secure your property as well.

SECURITY ESCORTS: There is no reason for any student to walk alone if he or she is uncomfortable doing so. Free security escorts are offered 24 hours a day. Just call Public Safety dispatch at 8-6666 to request an escort; within minutes a police officer or security guard will respond and walk with you.

ENGRAVING: Permanently marking valuable property (such as laptops, iPods, golf clubs, and cell phones) with your name and drivers license number not only discourages theft, but it makes it easier to track the property if it is ever stolen. Public Safety offers two engraving options, each are free of charge. Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105 to discuss engraving options and to set up an appointment.

For further information on any of these services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 19
4:58 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
Hit and Run Accident

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 20
5:52 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon
Blvd. Stolen Vehicle

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22
12:50 a.m. 1230 Dickinson Dr.
Assault/Battery
3:39 a.m. 1300 Stanford Dr.
Intoxicated Person
7:20 a.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
UM Security Alarm
1:09 p.m. 1201 Memorial Dr.
Larceny

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23
3:18 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Intoxicated Person
6:05 p.m. 1244 Stanford Dr.
Criminal Mischief

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 5
10:37 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr. Theft

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...