Culture

Cut Chemist fuses jazz, hip hop and funk on The Audience’s Listening

There’s only one album where one can find Brazilian guitar inspired sounds, space aged rhythms and break beats all mixed and scratched up into one. With his debut album, The Audience’s Listening, Jurassic 5’s (J5) recently departed Lucas Macfadden aka DJ Cut Chemist has finally released what a hard copy of all the record digging he has done sounds like.

With track one, “Motivational Speaker,” listeners can almost get lost in the amount of samples that are thrown at them but the album later shifts gears by bringing on guest MC’s. By far the standout track, “Storm,” features guests Edan & Mr. Lif. The beat on “Storm” would make any BBoy or BGirl go crazy and running for their linoleum mat, and “What’s the Altitude” featuring Hymnal, has the most impressive scratching on the album.

After departing J5 and Grammy-winning Latin alternative band, Ozomatli, Cut has been able to focus on his long-awaited solo project.

The album will most likely appeal to listeners of DJ Shadow and others alike. Listeners who do not have an open mind and are biased towards mixing musical genres should definitely not listen. The album is one giant fusion of jazz, hip-hop and funk. There are some drawbacks in some tracks-mainly dealing with the lack of rhythm and the absence of simplicity in the album; but then again, it is Cut Chemist and one should know what they are getting themselves into before pressing “Play”. Although many may expect the entire album to be nothing but scratching, guess again. It’s a rare-occurrence that is overshadowed by the hundreds of eccentric samples and sounds. The album overall deserves a listen at the unusual and sometimes unexpected sounds.

Marcos Colon may be contacted at m.colon2@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...