Breaking News: University Village delayed once more

Residents of University Village buildings 5 and 6 received an e-mail just before 9 p.m. Wednesday night informing them that their apartments would not be ready on the previously scheduled move-in date of Sept. 30.

Gilbert Arias, assistant vice president for student affairs, said that the most recent delays, which will push the move-in days to Oct. 3 and 4, a Tuesday and a Wednesday, resulted from the City of Coral Gables withholding the certificate of occupancy until the north parking garage of the Village is completed. In addition, Arias said that the city also said that a sidewalk must be in place by building 1 on Albenga Avenue in between the garage and Ponce Boulevard to provide a safe walkway for students moving into their apartments.

“Students will be better off in the long run because [the apartments]will be ready this time,” Arias said. “We won’t experience the same problems we did with the other buildings.”

Arias said that the circumstances causing these delays are out of the university’s control. He added that the primary factor influencing the overall delays is a shortage of construction workers in South Florida.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for student affairs, said that the university realized what needed to be done after a meeting on Wednesday at 4 p.m. Prior to this, it was believed that the Sept. 30 move-in date would be met.

Because the contract with the Biltmore Hotel, which houses 122 students, expires on Oct. 5, it thus became necessary to schedule the move-in days during the week.

“It’s very unfortunate,” Whitely said. Regarding the possible difficulties of students moving in during the week, she added, “We’re going to be as flexible as possible.”

In spite of all the university’s efforts to accommodate students’ needs, Whitely is well-aware of what the reaction will be.

“Obviously students are going to be disappointed and very unhappy, but at the same time I think there’s been reason for the delays,” she said. “They are as frustrated about this as we are.”

T.J. Eisenstein may be contacted at tj@miami.edu. Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...