Women’s soccer gets charred on Tobacco Road

Atlantic Coast Conference play opened for the University of Miami’s women’s soccer team with two straight losses to North Carolina State (0-1) and the University of North Carolina (1-6). Miami dropped to 6-3 overall and 0-2 in the conference.

The marquee match-up last weekend came on Sunday when Miami headed to Chapel Hill for a showdown to face fourth-ranked University of North Carolina. The Tarheels dominated throughout most of the game and came away with a 6-1 victory.

The lone highlight for the Hurricanes came in the 24th minute from forward Rachael Rigamat who scored off a throughball pass from defender Corynn Carino.

“I thought we played well for the first half but we weren’t able to keep it up,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “North Carolina is a very deep team with extremely talented players.”

Junior Jaime Gilbert scored the go-ahead goal for UNC in the 38th minute.

North Carolina dominated the second half, scoring again in the 52nd, 59th, 64th, and 75th minutes to put the game out of reach, 6-1.

The most impressive of all the goals came in the 59th minute when freshman midfielder Whitney Engen dribbled past four UM defenders and scored on a breakaway.

“Games like today are very humbling, but are very useful in terms of learning experiences,” Taliaferro said. “We just have to take another step forward in our development and push past the comfort zone.”

In the first game, Miami put up a game effort on the road, but were unable to come away with a goal against North Carolina State.

Hurricanes goalie Lauren McAdam saved four other attempts and kept the game close, but Miami was unable to muster anything offensively. The shutout marked the first time all season that Miami was held scoreless.

“The ACC is a very unforgiving conference and each detail needs to be covered mentally and physically,” Taliaferro told Hurricanesports.com. “We take responsibility for this game as players and a team and look forward to getting back on the field.”

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...