Who said exercise has to hurt? no one.

I am very scared that I am not getting enough exercise. I participate in intramurals and attend lots of classes at the gym, but I just feel like no matter what I do, I am not doing enough to stay in shape. I don’t have one of those obsessive disorders, and I love to eat, so it’s not like I have an eating disorder of any kind, I just hate feeling like I’m not doing enough. In all actuality, I feel like I could do more for my health, but with classes and friends, I just don’t have the time to really give it my all.

Health Worrier

Dear Reader,

Do you have this overwhelming feeling of underachievement in all aspects of your life? Do you feel like you don’t study enough or like you don’t spend enough time with your family and friends? If this sounds like you, I hate to break it to you, but you might be a perfectionist, which is alright. Secretly, everyone harbors some kind of perfectionist tendency. It’s only when your need for perfectionism is suddenly present in both the important and the mundane areas of your existence that you might have to reexamine your priorities and scale back a little somewhere.

According to the FDA, “exercise does not have to be strenuous to be beneficial,” which basically means that you don’t have to spend five hour chunks of your day at the gym in order to be healthy.

While exercise is effective for weight loss and weight control, it is also helpful to get an adequate amount of exercise to lessen your chances of developing heart disease and diabetes, amongst other diseases.

But, what is an adequate amount of exercise? Again, according to the FDA, “some studies show that short sessions of exercise several times a day are just as effective at burning calories and improving health as one long session,” which means that a few 10 or 15 minute walks each day could easily be substituted for one long haul on the elliptical machine.

Furthermore, say the experts over at the FDA, “to lose weight and to maintain a healthy weight after weight loss, many adults will likely need to do more than 30 minutes of moderate to intensive physical activity daily;” one can infer that unless you are trying to maintain weight loss or lose weight, about 30 minutes of exercise each day is a sufficient amount of time spent on exercising in order to stay in shape.

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day.Women find the body odor of more symmetrical men to be more attractive than the body odor of less symmetrical men.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...