Dutchess Fergie makes the boys go loco

If you thought Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas was just some cute songstress who had us singing “Don’t Phunk with My Heart” last summer, you thought wrong. As the title of Fergie’s first solo album proclaims, she’s more than a blonde who sings the occasional hook in a Peas hit-in fact, she’s a Dutchess.

Out to prove herself worthy of such a title, Fergie kicks off her royal affair with “Fergalicious,” an infectious booty shaker in which the “F to the E-R-G the I, the E” brags about her ability to “make the boys go loco.” While the track is sprinkled with Fergie’s outrageous personality, its beat moves you just like a Peas hit would. A quick glance of the album credits supports this notion; a handful of Fergie’s dance numbers are produced by Will.I.Am, the mastermind behind the Peas.

But that doesn’t mean that “Dutchess” is solely comprised of Peas-esque material. Similar to how No Doubt’s Gwen Stefani explored new genres on her solo album, Fergie lets loose on several tracks on “Dutchess” and indulges in sounds that would never conceivably fit on a Peas album. Take, for instance, “All That I Got (The Make Up Song),” an R&B slow jam in which Fergie tells the love of her life that she could be the one he “could grow older with.”

Not only does Fergie explore her feminine side on her debut album, but she also reveals a voice exponentially more impressive than any Peas hit has ever suggested. In “Finally,” a ballad about finding one’s soul through tough times and love, Fergie unleashes a voice that should make Beyonce and Christina Aguilera twitch with nervousness.

Missy Elliot should also watch her back. In “Here I come,” a hip-hop and dance hybrid that samples “Get Ready,” a Motown hit by The Temptations, Fergie puts great use to a flow that begs the question: Is Fergie a better singer or rapper? The hit also suggests that, without a doubt, “Dutchess” marks the ascension of a musical monarch destined to reign for many years to come.

Nick Maslow can be contacted at n.maslow@umiami.edu

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...