Dutchess Fergie makes the boys go loco

If you thought Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas was just some cute songstress who had us singing “Don’t Phunk with My Heart” last summer, you thought wrong. As the title of Fergie’s first solo album proclaims, she’s more than a blonde who sings the occasional hook in a Peas hit-in fact, she’s a Dutchess.

Out to prove herself worthy of such a title, Fergie kicks off her royal affair with “Fergalicious,” an infectious booty shaker in which the “F to the E-R-G the I, the E” brags about her ability to “make the boys go loco.” While the track is sprinkled with Fergie’s outrageous personality, its beat moves you just like a Peas hit would. A quick glance of the album credits supports this notion; a handful of Fergie’s dance numbers are produced by Will.I.Am, the mastermind behind the Peas.

But that doesn’t mean that “Dutchess” is solely comprised of Peas-esque material. Similar to how No Doubt’s Gwen Stefani explored new genres on her solo album, Fergie lets loose on several tracks on “Dutchess” and indulges in sounds that would never conceivably fit on a Peas album. Take, for instance, “All That I Got (The Make Up Song),” an R&B slow jam in which Fergie tells the love of her life that she could be the one he “could grow older with.”

Not only does Fergie explore her feminine side on her debut album, but she also reveals a voice exponentially more impressive than any Peas hit has ever suggested. In “Finally,” a ballad about finding one’s soul through tough times and love, Fergie unleashes a voice that should make Beyonce and Christina Aguilera twitch with nervousness.

Missy Elliot should also watch her back. In “Here I come,” a hip-hop and dance hybrid that samples “Get Ready,” a Motown hit by The Temptations, Fergie puts great use to a flow that begs the question: Is Fergie a better singer or rapper? The hit also suggests that, without a doubt, “Dutchess” marks the ascension of a musical monarch destined to reign for many years to come.

Nick Maslow can be contacted at n.maslow@umiami.edu

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...