Chavez and Castro: the movie

They ought to make a movie about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Cuba’s aging and ailing Dictator Fidel Castro’s daring and adventurous lives. Here is the pitch: the head of state of an oil-rich South American country joins forces with historical foe of the last remaining world superpower. The two share hair-brained policies at the expense and wellbeing of their countrymen, and to the embarrassment of mankind.

Chavez, as a modern version of Marco Polo, strikes up an arms deal with the Chinese that results in the delivery of a handful of unneeded patrol boats and outdated helicopters.

Chavez then addresses the United Nations, calling U.S. President George W. Bush the devil and predicting a defeat of a U.S. invasion of Venezuela. Problem is, that the invasion only exists in the deluded mind of Chavez-regardless, Venezuela has called up its reserves and National Guard (Castro had pulled a similar stunt shortly after he took power in a UN visit in 1959, minus the devil insult, although he did eventually insult J.F.K. referring to him being as dumb as a donkey. Kennedy then asked in how many different languages Castro desired a response).

A week later, CNN broadcasts a piece on Chavez passing out of new still-in-the-box AK-47 assault rifles to his troops. One scene has Chavez handing a rifle to a toothless old woman who can hardly hold the thing up. Later, a resident of an impoverished Caracas outskirt was explaining how the narrow alleys of the neighborhood would channel U.S. Marines into ambushes (Similarly, Castro has forecasted a U.S. invasion for over 45 years now, and most of the militia folk he passed rifles out to are either dead or in Miami).

The movie version of the above events may differ, but the scenes would center on the public mishaps of the two men and their disregard for all that is advisable. I have a name for the movie, but I’m afraid that it is spoken for. It seems that irrational, immature and irresponsible acts by grown men have already been made into a movie, but I still can’t think of a better title than “Jackass.”

Octavio Ramos is a doctoral candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the history department. He may be contacted at o.ramos@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...