Volleyball loses heartbreaker

The Miami Hurricanes Volleyball team gave it their all, but could not defeat a tough Florida State squad Tuesday night.

After taking a 2-1 game lead, the Hurricanes (3-7) were unable to put away the Seminoles (7-3) in a 30-27, 24-30, 30-22, 12-30, 12-15 decision. The deciding game five was especially frustrating as the ‘Canes lost on a borderline final serve.

“It was a competitive match,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne-Welch said. “I’m disappointed in the result, we just came up a little too short.”

The ‘Canes were aggressive from the start, taking game one 30-27. Outside hitter Sara Duncan led the way with seven kills, putting the Seminole defense to the test. Francheska Savage, outside hitter, also had an impressive first game, with six kills.

Game two did favor the ‘Canes as FSU came away with a 30-24 win to tie Miami. Florida State middle blocker Brianna Barry held Miami under wraps, scoring kill after kill.

The Hurricanes took an impressive 22-12 lead in game three and never looked back. The Seminoles came up with four quick points and made it as close as 25-20, but the Hurricanes held on with a 30-22 win.

The ‘Canes just needed one more win in game four to seal the deal, however the Seminoles had other ideas.

After taking a quick 8-4 lead over Miami in game four, FSU scored 10 straight points to go ahead 18-4. Miami had six unforced errors and only eight kills as they ended up losing 30-12.

“Game four did not represent how Miami plays volleyball,” said middle blocker Ciara Michel who led Miami with 19 kills overall.

However, in game five the ‘Canes fought down to the wire.

“We came into game five with a changed mindset,” Michel said.

Miami took a 12-10 advantage, with aggressive play from the Hurricanes front court. Yet, the ‘Canes could not hold onto the lead as FSU scored four quick points to go up 14-12. Needing one more point, the Seminoles smashed the ball into the far right corner. The serve looked to have gone out of bounds, but the referees decided that the ball was in fair territory, giving FSU the game five win and the match.

“This game really, really hurt,” said Duncan, who finished the game with 13 total kills. “We had moments of greatness, but we just had trouble finishing.”

The Hurricanes take on Boston College tonight at 8 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex.

Jordan Liebhaber may be contacted at j.liebhaber@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...