UM buildings go ‘green’

The University of Miami’s new Clinical Research Institute (CRI) on the Jackson Memorial Medical Campus is the first building in the South Florida-area to be certified “green” from top to bottom.

This is one of the most recent examples of an initiative, spearheaded by President Donna E. Shalala, to propel the university into ecological sustainability through the use of environmentally-friendly technologies.

“We’re going green!” said Shalala regarding the soon-to-be college-wide project.

Shalala said that there will be a three-legged effort throughout the entire university, including construction planning, education and transportation.

The construction planning leg, headed by Vic Atherton, vice president of facilities and planning, and Ken Capezzuto, director of environmental health and safety, broke ground on the CRI last spring.

The recently completed 350,000 square-foot building is outfitted with double-paned, argon-filled glass so its windows may remain cool in direct sunlight, and high-efficiency light fixtures tied to a building energy management system.

The building also includes an air management system to minimize impurities and maximize comfort. In addition, almost all internal materials, including walls and carpeting, are made out of recyclable or recycled materials.

This building, with its “green” features, will not stand alone.

In the years to come, the construction of three more “green” buildings is also planned. The Biomedical Research Institute, the University Hospital and its support facility, which will also be located on the medical campus, will embrace many of the same environmentally-friendly features as the CRI.

On the Coral Gables campus there are a few promotions geared toward raising awareness of sustainability and alternative fuel usage.

The university has purchased test models of new electric transportation carts that will hopefully replace the gasoline-powered Gold-Cart currently in use by university staff.

Such carts are already in use at other institutions, such as the University of Southern California.

The university plans to sponsor a contest

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...