Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team began the fall season by competing in the Gator Fall Classic last weekend, a four-team round robin event that included Duke, University of South Florida, and host University of Florida.

On Friday, Miami beat Florida two out of three in doubles. One of the ‘Canes victories came from the No.7 ranked team of junior Audra Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu over UF’s Whitney Benik and Diana Srebrovic, 9-8 (7-5).

In singles action, Miami won five of seven singles matches against USF. Top-ranked Audra Cohen defeated USF’s No.72 Shadisha Robinson 6-2, 6-0. Laura Vallverdu defeated No.68 Liz Cruz 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) in Vallverdu’s first match of her college career. Juniors Caren Seenauth, Gina Sabatino and sophomore Romy Farah all won their matches for the ‘Canes.

Cohen led Miami in a strong singles effort against Duke on Saturday. The Hurricanes defeated the Blue Devils in five of six singles matches. In the feature match, Cohen beat sixth-ranked Daniela Bercek 6-1, 6-0.

The teams of Banada/Farah and Seenauth/Sabatino secured wins in doubles for Miami against USF.

UM finished up the final day successfully, winning all three doubles matches against Duke and four of the six singles matches over Florida.

The ‘Canes claimed singles victories from Cohen, Banada, Vallerdu, and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis

Miami’s men tennis team took part in the Hurricane Fall Invitation last weekend. The ‘Canes took on Florida Atlantic, North Florida, and Georgia Southern. Miami finished the weekend with an 11-1 singles record and a 5-1 in doubles.

Miami won all three doubles matches and five of six singles matches against Georgia Southern.

Senior Josh Cohen, Barnabas Carrega, Josip Rupena, Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto all claimed singles victories for Miami. Carrega won in straight sets.

Miami swept all singles matches against North Florida and Florida Atlantic.

Football

Despite published reports earlier this week that wide receiver Darnell Jenkins would be out three to four weeks, it seems possible that Jenkins could be back in time for Miami’s next game against Houston on Sept. 30 at 6 p.m.

Jenkins suffered a PCL tear in the game against Louisville on Saturday.

If Jenkins in not able to perform, freshman Sam Shields will replace Jenkins, while Terrell Walden and Khalil Jones would likely compete for the spot that Shields would vacate.

Wide receiver Ryan Moore remains suspended for his alleged assault involving a woman outside the Rathskeller.

Head Coach Larry Coker said he expects offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood to start against Houston, but will not decide until next week.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...