Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team began the fall season by competing in the Gator Fall Classic last weekend, a four-team round robin event that included Duke, University of South Florida, and host University of Florida.

On Friday, Miami beat Florida two out of three in doubles. One of the ‘Canes victories came from the No.7 ranked team of junior Audra Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu over UF’s Whitney Benik and Diana Srebrovic, 9-8 (7-5).

In singles action, Miami won five of seven singles matches against USF. Top-ranked Audra Cohen defeated USF’s No.72 Shadisha Robinson 6-2, 6-0. Laura Vallverdu defeated No.68 Liz Cruz 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) in Vallverdu’s first match of her college career. Juniors Caren Seenauth, Gina Sabatino and sophomore Romy Farah all won their matches for the ‘Canes.

Cohen led Miami in a strong singles effort against Duke on Saturday. The Hurricanes defeated the Blue Devils in five of six singles matches. In the feature match, Cohen beat sixth-ranked Daniela Bercek 6-1, 6-0.

The teams of Banada/Farah and Seenauth/Sabatino secured wins in doubles for Miami against USF.

UM finished up the final day successfully, winning all three doubles matches against Duke and four of the six singles matches over Florida.

The ‘Canes claimed singles victories from Cohen, Banada, Vallerdu, and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis

Miami’s men tennis team took part in the Hurricane Fall Invitation last weekend. The ‘Canes took on Florida Atlantic, North Florida, and Georgia Southern. Miami finished the weekend with an 11-1 singles record and a 5-1 in doubles.

Miami won all three doubles matches and five of six singles matches against Georgia Southern.

Senior Josh Cohen, Barnabas Carrega, Josip Rupena, Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto all claimed singles victories for Miami. Carrega won in straight sets.

Miami swept all singles matches against North Florida and Florida Atlantic.

Football

Despite published reports earlier this week that wide receiver Darnell Jenkins would be out three to four weeks, it seems possible that Jenkins could be back in time for Miami’s next game against Houston on Sept. 30 at 6 p.m.

Jenkins suffered a PCL tear in the game against Louisville on Saturday.

If Jenkins in not able to perform, freshman Sam Shields will replace Jenkins, while Terrell Walden and Khalil Jones would likely compete for the spot that Shields would vacate.

Wide receiver Ryan Moore remains suspended for his alleged assault involving a woman outside the Rathskeller.

Head Coach Larry Coker said he expects offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood to start against Houston, but will not decide until next week.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...