School’s environmental changes a step in the right direction

With the completion of the new Clinical Research Institute (CRI) at Jackson Memorial and plans for more environmentally-friendly buildings, the university continues to implement changes geared towards becoming “green.” The new CRI is not only designed to be energy-efficient, but is also constructed from recycled material. On campus, new completely-electric security carts were unveiled, to go along with existing recycling facilities and waterless toilets.

The changes implemented are a step in the right direction. While the university is not the first to “go green,” nor is it the greenest, the changes are a good start, and indicative of how future green initiatives can, and should, be implemented. They also set a good example, as UM is at the forefront of environmentally-friendly practices in South Florida, which is not what one would consider an Earth-friendly community.

But now that the university has taken the first steps, it must continue its commitment long after the current programs are fulfilled. Events like these recent inaugurations make for great publicity and give the school a good image boost. But neither the university nor the public should be lulled into complacency after these advances. It’s easy to delude ourselves by thinking we’re doing enough for the environment – we’re not. We’ve only just begun, and green changes seem to lag behind other university projects, such as new construction on the Gables campus and expanded shuttle routes. On that note, new shuttles purchased last year should have been outfitted to use cleaner burning natural gas as fuel, something Europe has been doing for years.

But looking at the university’s track record of making a greener campus, it does not seem like commitment will be a problem. The changes will not only benefit the environment, but also enhance the university community tremendously.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...