News Briefs

UM News

Dining services offers students more late-night options

Students who are late-night diners will have more options to choose from this week as Leo’s Deli extends its hours of operation. The eatery, which previously closed its doors at 6 p.m., will now remain open until 9 p.m. from Monday to Thursday.

According to Mel Tenen, vice president of auxiliary services, the decision to keep Leo’s open later resulted from student requests for healthier dining alternatives during the late evening hours. Leo’s was deemed the most practical option based on sales data collected during the three week move-in period for University Village residents, during which most of the restaurants in the dining hall, including Leo’s, remained open later.

“We felt that, based on student feedback and data collected during those three weeks, the results clearly reflected that Leo’s was the most popular food venue, which is why we’ve decided to keep it open later,” Tenen said.

Dining and Vending Services have used student feedback to extend the service hours of several other eateries such as Wendy’s, Salsarita’s and Panda Express over the past few years, the results of which have been beneficial, Tenen said.

ELSEWhere

Thai University of Wisconsin students respond to coup d’etat

By Joana Pliner // Badger Herald (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis. – After the Royal Thai Army overthrew standing Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a nonviolent cout d’etat Tuesday night while he was scheduled to speak at the United Nations in New York, University of Wisconsin students and faculty have responded with both shock and understanding.

Several Thai students at the University of Wisconsin said they were shocked to see military tanks rolling through the capital of Thailand.

“It’s as much a shock to me as it is to you,” UW senior and member of Thai Undergrads Association Taj Unakul said.

With Shinawatra now overthrown, there are many questions about the country’s future.

Languages and Cultures of Asia professor Robert Bickner said Shinawatra has been a controversial public figure since he took office and several attempts to force his resignation failed earlier this year.

Still, Bicker said he did not think the coup would affect the average laypersons life in Thailand.

Bickner added it was unfortunate that tanks have cruised through Bangkok so many times in the past, but that those tanks are merely a show of power, not force.

ETC.

Applications for Alernative Winter Break site leaders are now available in the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leaderhip Development in UC 240. Return applications to the Butler Center by Sept. 29 at 5 p.m. Previous site leadership experience is preferred.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...