John Mayer: Not for TRL anymore

John Mayer is one of those artists who is willing to ask the big questions. On his latest, Continuum, he tackles heavy issues such as belief, time, love and happiness; basically, he has made an album about life. Granted, it’s a pretty obnoxious and self-righteous goal, but Mayer pulls it off flawlessly.

On Continuum, Mayer exercises stern control and confidence in his music. He avoids burdening his songs with cumbersome melodies and bigheaded musical movements. On his third studio effort, Mayer finally sounds at peace with who he has become and the music that speaks for him.

The album cover alone, sporting only Continuum and ‘Music by John Mayer’ on a gray background, is enough to assure any listener that this man is all about the music and nothing else.

Likewise, there is no glitz and glamour on the album’s twelve tracks. They’re not bare, but the production is just subtle enough to remind you that music can be splendidly simple, when in the right hands.

The strongest, most assured tracks on the album are the ones that take time to grow on you. Songs like the eloquent “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You),” “The Heart Of Life,” “In Repair” and the perfect “Stop This Train” are rhythmic and soulful, and at the same time, simple and genuine.

This is not a particularly catchy album. Although, that is not to say that all the pop has fizzled from Mayer, it’s unlikely an album of this maturity and grace will find its place in the hands of TRL fans.

It is abundantly clear on Continuum that Mayer has grown as an artist. As he tackles a Hendrix tune (“Bold as Love”), and adopts skilled musicians-bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan-to form the John Mayer Trio, Mayer has made it clear he is not looking at his past for answers; instead, he looks to his future for options.

After taking in Continuum, one of the strongest albums of 2006 thus far, it’ll be hard for anyone to discredit Mayer’s skill as a guitarist and songwriter.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...