Alumna’s CD a scat-talkin’ time

If there ever was a city to fully appreciate Elin (pronounced Ee-ah-LEEN), it would be Miami. Not only is Elin a graduate of UM’s School of Music, but with her mix of English, Spanish and Portugese lyrics, she appeals to the diverse cultures of South Florida. On her debut album Lazy Afternoon, Elin takes traditional jazz and adds a dash of her personalized flavor, replete with influences from South America and Europe.

The best example of Elin’s experimentalism is her album opener, “Fascinating Rhythm.” This well-known Gershwin classic, usually performed at a casual lilt, becomes Elin’s own as she kicks up the tempo, adds Latin rhythm and slips into Portugese after the first verse. With a catchy end result, Elin makes her rendition worthy of its title.

For most of the disc’s remainder, Elin slows down to create a leisurely mood, beginning with her title track, “Lazy Afternoon.” While her soothing, languid lyrics and fluid instrumentals succeed in setting the tone, at times Elin’s vocals err a bit on a clean, crisp side. Her talent is undeniable, but such a sweet voice seems better suited to pop.

More so than other genres, jazz emphasizes its instruments; Elin’s band follows suit by enriching the album with constantly rolling notes, especially effective when coupled with the frequent flow of Spanish lyrics. But simply put, Elin will not convert those with jazz-aversions to fandom. Her use of typical jazz techniques like scat talking (the nonsense syllabic utterances that many singers use to aversions to fandom. Her use of typical jazz techniques like scat talking (the nonsense syllabic utterances that many singers use to fill in lyrical gaps) may raise eyebrows among those unfamiliar with the genre.

For those that don’t already hate jazz, Lazy Afternoon makes for a pleasant listen, suitable for classy background music at a dinner party or the soundtrack to a study session. Like a good cup of coffee, Lazy Afternoon goes down smooth; quite a feat, considering Elin’s risky, innovative style.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...